Rejects

Rod Bendhard

I love experimenting with baits. Inevitably, some baits just turn out like crap and have to go to swimbait jail. Here are a few wacky ones I made recently that didn't make the cut

post-21268-0-98342800-1516838731_thumb.jpg

This started out as a chunky blue gill wake bait. I must have gotten too many spray paint fumes in the shop because it ended up being a weird little meatball rat that dives down about a foot (this one actually swam pretty well)post-21268-0-61586300-1516838922_thumb.jpg

This was my (poor) attempt to replicate the juicy customs snakehead. I had a bunch of those Ron z tails laying around from last striper season so I figured I would give it a shot. This one swam ok but had an erratic retrieve unless reeled in at the right speedpost-21268-0-24066600-1516839258_thumb.jpg

This was a weird shaped rat I was playing around with. I put weights all the way in the back of the front piece and it gave it really crazy action which for whatever reason I really didn't like.

I have a few more in swimbait exhile I will post later. Fellow bait makers, let's see your rejects!

Here's one that I was planning to mold back in May of 2016 but never did because it was too ugly and wasn't worth the silicone. This was my very first time trying to carve a trout with realism in mind, and I'm happy to say that I've improved at it significantly haha!

I've got plenty more rejects too but have to dig up some pictures of them. Thanks for starting this up...allows people to see a bit of the unseen of lure making.

post-23790-0-12496000-1516912734_thumb.jpg

Edited by danthefisherman

Planned on this being a wake bait/crankdown. 1st thing I did wrong was make the tail section to thin and decided to skip adding one all together. And then I cut the joint slanted and went right through the gills on one side of it. Now it's trashed

post-27782-0-35551200-1517067036_thumb.jpg

First pour of my first "glide"...ran out of resin the first time and foolishly opened up the mold before pouring the rest. The bottom of the bait is filled with holes from test weights, swivel hook hangers, and other modifications. I also installed a paper clip to limit joint play as I had carved the bait with too much of it. Overall a very ugly first pour and only good to test color hues on.

post-23790-0-98773900-1517261634_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 7:45 PM, BrhodesBassin said:

There's a reason why most walking baits are round.

I tried 3 different line tie positions and Idk how many different weight amounts and placements. But I couldn't get a good walk to save my life

post-27782-0-75357600-1521765880_thumb.jpg

I ended up being wrong about this bait. I decided to work with what I had instead of starting over and it actually has a decent walk, even caught one! But there are some things about it I still can't stand

20180422_203048.jpg