Looking for some good reads

NEbucketmouth19

I've begun reading some bass fishing books like Bill Muphy's In Pursuit of Giant Bass, SpoonPlugging, the In-Fisherman critical concepts series and a couple others. I was wondering what some of the books you guys have read that did the most to shape how you fish (hopefully for the better)? They don't have to be swimbait related. Already I'm beginning to see how poorly I've approached fishing structure all these years but definitely want to continue learning. 

have you read high percentage fishing A Statiscal Approach to Improving Catch Rates by josh Alwine. 

This is a real eye opener that looks a hard data collected over years to make sound conclusions.  Short read 124 pgs.

Definitely recommended if your serious about stepping up your fishing game. 

Tracking Trophy Bass by John Hope (observations of radio tracked wild bass)

Bass Myths Exploded by Jerry Gibbs (some decent stuff from scuba diver observation)

Sowbelly: the Obsessive Quest for the World Record Bass by Monte Burke (great section on some of the earliest swimbait makers and a generally great read)

have you read high percentage fishing A Statiscal Approach to Improving Catch Rates by josh Alwine. 

This is a real eye opener that looks a hard data collected over years to make sound conclusions.  Short read 124 pgs.

Definitely recommended if your serious about stepping up your fishing game. 

Haha, guess which book I literally just finished 20 minutes ago. I did enjoy it, there were certain instances I felt he drew conclusions that may have reflected more on the habits of the fisherman themselves, than on the fish, but I did get a lot out of his discussion on fishing pressure though, and finding the common ground between murphy and the two other big bass anglers he mentions. 

Here's a quick read by Mike Gilbert from working class zero. Maybe you read this already, but it definitely puts things in perspective. The best new swimbait is not the answer, but only a cure! People spend more time searching and finding the best new swimbait, when the answer is in the time you spend in the water. Its all smoke and mirrors! 

http://www.workingclasszero.net/#/quest-for-the-cure/

also my favorite from an historical perspective is "Lucas on bass" by Jason Lucas 1949.  He was probably the most under rated bass fisherman of all time. He was touting catch and release when people thought that was insane. He fished with extremely primitive gear compared to us: pre ABU casting reels without line winding or drag capability using silk line that tested around 8 lbs. No electronics or trolling motor, but his observations are astute and relevant to today. 

also my favorite from an historical perspective is "Lucas on bass" by Jason Lucas 1949.  He was probably the most under rated bass fisherman of all time. He was touting catch and release when people thought that was insane. He fished with extremely primitive gear compared to us: pre ABU casting reels without line winding or drag capability using silk line that tested around 8 lbs. No electronics or trolling motor, but his observations are astute and relevant to today. 

Have to agree that early writers like Jason Lucas, AJ McClane, Ray Bergman, and Sheridan Jones had a lot of knowledge that was hard earned and still applies today.  Put any of them on the water today with their archaic tackle and I'm sure they would still be successful.  Knowledge trumps equipment.

Here's a quick read by Mike Gilbert from working class zero. Maybe you read this already, but it definitely puts things in perspective. The best new swimbait is not the answer, but only a cure! People spend more time searching and finding the best new swimbait, when the answer is in the time you spend in the water. Its all smoke and mirrors! 

http://www.workingclasszero.net/#/quest-for-the-cure/

Time on the water is the best...but unfortunately mine's limited due to ice, family and job interference. So I supplement with reading, SU, YouTube and buying too many swimbaits. Mike has a great site. 

I might check that one out, sounds interesting. 

*Edit, look like there is a revised version. Any reason not to get that one?

Edited by NEbucketmouth19

Thanks for this thread, you guys. Just made myself a list of 5 books to work through over the next month or two until fishing really kicks in here. Starting with John Hope's Trackin Trophies! I read a couple of articles he wrote/articles about him and his work, and wow. Some really eye opening stuff!