Advice on a GIANT bass I found

IsaacM619

I found a bass last week that in my estimation is over 18 pounds. I've held 16 pound fish and have seen them in the water, but this fish is even bigger. My PB of 13.7 looks like a guppy compared to this big girl. I spotted some large fish congregating near a large rock underwater, around 6-7 feet deep. So I stalked the spot, got a good angle and cast my baitsmith about 10 yards past the fish, out into water about 30 feet deep. I let the baitsmith sink about 5-6 feet then started my retrieve.  As my baitsmith came into view I spotted a fish trailing that made me almost buckle. She followed all the way to the bank. I killed the bait, let it sink, and she turned sideways to the bank. I could see her entire body/girth. Almost scary to see a fish that big. She turned and slowly drifted back into the depths. But now I know where she is. So, the question is:

What would be the best approach moving forward to try and maximize my shot at her? 

Wait until spawn and see if I can find her bedded?

Fish at night on the new moon coming up next week?

Do you think she lives in that vicinity and doesn't migrate? 

Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks for reading. 

You're dealing with a very smart fish. You'll have to trick it. Figure location and dead stick that bait.

I'm talking the type dead stick nobody does, don't touch it for 15 minutes. No joke. Pickup could happen here. Sounds crazy, but that fish has seen it all before. All but this. That's why it will work. If nothing, slight twitch a few inches to show life every 30 seconds or so and stay on point. That fish will know from a great distance, its territory vast. Keep a finger on your line and be ready. Good luck.

You're dealing with a very smart fish. You'll have to trick it. Figure location and dead stick that bait.

I'm talking the type dead stick nobody does, don't touch it for 15 minutes. No joke. Pickup could happen here. Sounds crazy, but that fish has seen it all before. All but this. That's why it will work. If nothing, slight twitch a few inches to show life every 30 seconds or so and stay on point. That fish will know from a great distance, its territory vast. Keep a finger on your line and be ready. Good luck.

sounds interesting! cover water till you find the fish you want then do this technique.  i dont think this would be a good approach blind casting. but maybe a piece of structure cover like a point or a ledge!   i may have to try this at my big bass honey hole

My advice would've been to not tell a single soul, quit your job, leave your entire life behind and camp out in that area for the next month :mrgreen:  I sure wish I could've done that when I seen mine a couple years back. My honest advice would be to thin down your line diameter as much as you feel comfortable, make only a select few casts and only at your peak times following your weather/moon patterns, the worst thing you can do is sit there and hammer on her. Switch up your angles as well and I couldn't agree more with goodyear, try drowning a soft bait in her zone. Good luck man get her. 

I'm excited for you man, fingers crossed. I probably would have pissed my pants

Maybe try something other than a swimmer? Or if it followed but didn't eat your baitsmith try something similar but different? A bigger or smaller soft bait, maybe a different color? Granted, in MO I've never encountered fish like that, but just a couple ideas