Advice on a GIANT bass I found

IsaacM619

Geeze what a beast! I'd definitely try very hard not to pressure her...if she seems like she's staying put I'd move a little ways off and try catching a different fish on a variety of baits to see what gets a response and when the prime feeding time is. Who knows, maybe you'll find a pattern that you can utilize.

Above all, keep a clear head. Easier said than done especially with a fish so large at stake, but you might only get one cast at her. Make it count and good luck!

I'd bet she stays in that area. I saw a big fish in my local lake 5 or 6 times over a 4 month period. The fish was off a point in 40' water and would almost always follow a glide bait to the boat.

No advise on how to catch her though because I never catch big fish. One thing I do know though, after fishing with a waterwolf for a while... If that's her spot and you toss a baitsmith or hudd down there that fish is on it inches away checking it out as it sinks to the bottom, especially that first cast. Maybe let the bait sit on the bottom for a 30 -40 seconds giving it a few small jerks before you start reeling.

Be stealthy, no sonar, no trolling motor, night is a good idea. I think those smart big girls are more likely tho bite when there is minimal boat traffic (safer to feed). Maybe if you told me the lake and exact spot where you saw her I could be even  more help.

I thought I read on Mike Long's website that these big mature females become nocturnal feeders. She followed that bait because of instincts and curiosity, but she will eat at night. But if her routine is thrown off for some reason she would eat during the day (they have to eat). Have also read that most Big fish are caught around noon.

I'd probably throw pride to the wind and stitch a live craw or waterdog slow as you can stand on 8-10lb fluoro! Haha.

Barring that, drag a baitsmith or Hudd along the bottom as slow as you can stand right through her area. Or as others have stated, cast a big floating swimbait past her rock and creep it over top and just kill it. Get a lawn chair and wait for up to a couple hours giving it a tiny twitch every 20 or so.

Edited by Wes P

I'd pull your bait smith or a hudd right up to the base of the Rock and try to "hide" it on the lee side of sun or current, killing it as close to the rock as possible, like a trout running for cover. Kill it, and let it soak 5-45 seconds. Pop it off the bottom and burn it pretty good once you move it, and don't stop. Failing that I'd slow roll a 3:16 gill or mattlures gill that would suspend or slow sink around the rock, depending on where you are.

I would use a glide bait like a S-Waver 200 or a Deps 250. Make a cast the same angle and depth as when you saw her. Bring the swimbait slow and steady. Give it a quick half or 1/4 reel handle turn to make it glide and let it stop for at least 3 seconds when the bait is reaching the spot on spot (rocks). Then resume the slow steady retrieve. If you see the big bass following close to the bait make it glide again and pause like before. If it follows and you can't make it strike return at least a couple hours later or even next day and try a different bait or different angle. 

Thanks fellas. I will let you know how this progresses. I may never see her again, or maybe I will. Also Grady is dead on. Dude caught a 15 recently on 4 pound test and power bait. Video is online.

I looked for this video but couldn't find it...

I heard a trout ate the Power Bait and then the giant bass ate the trout. I dunno if that's accurate but pretty wild if so.

that sounds more plausible. I've caught several trout with what looked to have bass bite marks on them.