Advice on a GIANT bass I found

IsaacM619

Well,

She was 1 inch from my bait, maybe less. An 18 plus pound bass was nose down on my bait so close to it it was practically in her mouth. First cast on the spot, Baitsmith Mag, slowly dragging the bait uphill to the rock where she’s been. As the bait came into view, so did she. She was following directly behind the bait for about 6 feet until I got within maybe 3 feet of the bank. She swung around to the head of the bait, so sideways to the bank. I saw her entire body from the side. I have never ever seen a fish with the shoulders and straight girth in my life. I just let the bait sit there, and she was literally staring into the baits eyes. I made a little jerk on the bait and she pulled away. I let the bait sit and she turned and slowly made her way back to deep water. In hindsight I should have just let the bait sit. Until I couldn’t stand it. I thought maybe I could trigger a reaction, like I’ve done to countless fish. Maybe she is just too smart. Next week I am making another trip. Should I change up the bait? Smaller profile?

Well,

She was 1 inch from my bait, maybe less. An 18 plus pound bass was nose down on my bait so close to it it was practically in her mouth. First cast on the spot, Baitsmith Mag, slowly dragging the bait uphill to the rock where she’s been. As the bait came into view, so did she. She was following directly behind the bait for about 6 feet until I got within maybe 3 feet of the bank. She swung around to the head of the bait, so sideways to the bank. I saw her entire body from the side. I have never ever seen a fish with the shoulders and straight girth in my life. I just let the bait sit there, and she was literally staring into the baits eyes. I made a little jerk on the bait and she pulled away. I let the bait sit and she turned and slowly made her way back to deep water. In hindsight I should have just let the bait sit. Until I couldn’t stand it. I thought maybe I could trigger a reaction, like I’ve done to countless fish. Maybe she is just too smart. Next week I am making another trip. Should I change up the bait? Smaller profile?

Try a smaller bait. Maybe a Mattlures Bluegill fished slowly on bottom or maybe even a swimbait in a baby bass color. You may try a crawdad imitating jig too. Mike Long uses jigs a lot to catch trophy bass he found before...

Camo up, crawl 25 yards, make a cast while laying on the ground. If you can see her, she can see you. I was in the same situation with an 18lb bedfish from the shore and I only got her to sniff a 6" hudd after let it sit for 4 minutes. Maybe try a smaller bait with scent. Make it something that she can just mouth and still get the hooks, I like the idea of deadsticking a mattlures bluegill with some scent.

Gosh that's intense!

The first thing that came to my mind is try using a bait with a type of "secondary action" like a feather or something that'll move in her wake without you imparting any action with your rod. I'd personally stick with the mag for at least one more cast. Make some slight but noticeable modification and give it one more cast. If she's less interested, then switch baits immediately. Not sure why this popped into my brain, but it might be worth a shot. Even doing something like a hudd fin mod on the mag might help so that it sits there quivering instead of just being a dead bait on the bottom. Go get her!

Wow! I bet your heart set a new speed record! I like the Mattlures Gill idea. I’d try a floating one, pulled tight to a bullet sinker that’s heavy enough to hold it on the bottom. Then, if you get another follow, when she’s close, free spool the Gill to send it swimming to the surface - the escaping bait might do the trick. Either way, keep us posted.

Stalk her from the bank. Cast out far past the rock and crawl it, like slow as you can possibly go. Also put some bass dynasty trout attractant on that mag. You already have her looking at the bait which is a huge step. My heart even started beating when I read this story. A  fish like that is unheard of here in New England. Go get her dude. 

I would run the Mag by her again and just soak it for like 5 minutes since she showed interest. If she doesn't go with it try following up with something small before you bail on her for the day. Maybe a jig or even something tiny on a dropshot. Not that I have any experience with this situation. Just what I would do given the opportunity at a trophy.

Smother that bait in bassdynasty,, lol, I mean Pro-Cure, and try sliding a small glass rattle into the tail, I believe when they're that size if they cant feel a heartbeat in the bait, that's enough to put them off, they're that wary, and a small rattle can create just enough vibration for that. Sounds like you did everything right but she found just one tiny thing wrong. A color switch may even be in order as well, I know the old timers on here think color don't matter, but it can certainly be a big deal in situations like this. What's the bottom content like, can you make the bait stir up any sediment while stationary? I also don't think downsizing will do you any good, it should in theory, but it sounds to me like she's becoming more defensive rather than hungry, and that mag is at a size that she clearly does not appreciate in her area. For her to get that close is a great sign, I bet you were shaking a bit, keep on her and make sure those hooks are sharp! 

These are ideas I genuinely think will help, I want to see this fish just as bad as you at this point ;)