Where the Wind Blows

danthefisherman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GxFcI1bIxc&t=1s

It was a brutally-windy day today with strong gusts coming from the North. There was little cloud cover and the water wasn't even cold, but to us it was freezing out. Dave and I had a very hard time trying to keep in control of the boat as our anchor couldn't hold us in the wind. It turns out that the wind blew us right to where we needed to be!

We started fishing deep in our honey hole with soft Dominator Shads. I tried Dave's new 7" Bravo Trout for a bit as well (http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46412-bravo-trout/), but it was a slow sink and couldn't get down to the bottom quick enough. Also tested out some more Keeper Glide prototypes to no avail (http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37728-keeper-glide/).

After our best spot failed to produce a single bite, we decided to fish the wind-blown end of the lake to see if any fish were congregated there. I saw a few bluegill right up along the bank where the water had been beaten to a froth. The wind drove us right up to the bank where the bluegill were, so I switched back to the Bravo to fish shallow. Second cast and this little chunker absolutely CRUSHED it, getting both hooks locked into her jaw! She was only 2.7 pounds, but that's a good sized bass for this lake with a 3-3.5 being big.

Later I switched it up to my Keeper Glide proto and had a big one follow it in right up to the boat. It was amazing watching her track the thing...I killed the bait, let her come up under it, ripped the rod, and she NAILED it! I was too hasty though and set too early. The hooks grabbed for about two seconds before she came unbuttoned. I was a bummed. Later in a different cove I had another few followers on the glide and managed another bite but didn't hook up. At the very least I feel motivated again to finish tuning this bait haha!

Overall a rough but enjoyable day on the water. Enjoy!

Dan

Congrats, you guys were determined and it paid off. If you were in a fancy bboat you probably were going to miss that opportunity. Find a deep water bank in those conditions and big mama will likely be there.

Thanks! Actually, this was one of the deepest drop off banks in the lake so it looks like we were on the right track haha! A very good thing to keep in mind for next time...