Trolling motor rope.

David R

I ripped the rope on my trolling motor. This is my first time ripping it. I've only own my little aluminum boat for about a year. I replaced it with another rope but it feels like it's just going to rip again. I saw online that they have steel cord ones but they're kind of pricey $30-50. I saw some stuff online of people making there own steel ones from stuff from the local hardware store for like $4-10. My question is have any of you done this? Maybe you have a better size wire you like to use or using crimps instead of clamps. I would just follow the video but the comments said that the guy didn't say the right size or something. I don't have a fancy trolling motor, it's just a 45lb minkota.Thanks!

https://youtu.be/0AKbFSxDVsE

http://bassutopiafishing.blogspot.com/2013/04/diy-steel-trolling-motor-replacement.html?m=1

I did this on my Champion years ago with the steel. Home Depot and it was cheap. You can crimp the ends or try to tie it with a knot. I used the knot, took some time to do it but never had any issues. The only thing to watch for is that it marks the head of the trolling from rubbing ever time you drop the motor.

I did this on my Champion years ago with the steel. Home Depot and it was cheap. You can crimp the ends or try to tie it with a knot. I used the knot, took some time to do it but never had any issues. The only thing to watch for is that it marks the head of the trolling from rubbing ever time you drop the motor.

I saw a video where the guy puts the steel wire through an additional rubber tube. Did you do this to? Or did you just use it the way it came with the vinyl coating? Thanks!

Paracord works great and is cheap and easy.. gotta just check why it broke.. old? Sometimes the grommet it goes thru gets beat up.. this was my case.. was cutting the cord

I'm try this also since I need to buy some Paracord for my lure retriever... The positives I saw from the steel cord is that there is no stretch from when you're raising and lowering it. Does Paracord have a lot of stretch

Edited by David R

I'm try this also since I need to buy some Paracord for my lure retriever... The positives I saw from the steel cord is that there is no stretch from when you're raising and lowering it. Does Paracord have a lot of stretch

It's not supposed to have stretch if its a quality brand.. they all have ratings