Am disco

Nufo

I'm not sure how many of you guys have experience fishing for tidal migratory stripers as opposed to land locked fish. These fish in our bay/delta/ocean are amazing creatures. There are a lot of factors that cause them to turn on and go WFO but they are always on the move feeding and they are here today and some place else tomorrow. To me nothing else compares to chasing these fish down and figuring out there patterns. I have been chasing these guys ever since I was old enough to ride my bike around the island I grew up on (Alameda, Ca.) and I fish for them every where from Monterey to Sacramento and have even plugged beaches in southern Oregon for them.

Today was a great day. We had planned to do this trip next week but the tides were too good today and it payed off. When these guys go WFO its usually at sun up or sun set and it usually last 10 to 20 minutes but can go longer in rare circumstances. Today it lasted about 25 minutes and as soon as the sun hit the water it shut off cold as ice! Unfortunatly I started the day off in a funk and cast one of my topwaters about 20 feet into the tullies (still getting used to my LDC XXH man does that thing launch these baits). Right about the same time we start getting blasted and the fish are tail slaping our baits. I try to retie and get another spook on and my knot fails 3 times in a row. Mean while my buddies make an adjustment and go subsurface with S-waviers and Gladiators and start getting whacked.

IMG_8414.jpg

Right off the bat we get a double and my buddies friend chuck lands his very first striper ever (pictured above) on the S-waiver.

It went 23lbs.

IMG_9086.jpg

He continued to whack um and landed two more.

IMG_2884.jpg

My buddy Rick stuck a nice one around 10 on that first double and then lost a toad that ran at the boat.

IMG_7345.jpg

The fish didn't want the walk the dogs baits so I switched over to an 11" wake bait and start getting blasted but they weren't converting just tail slaps. Then the sun came up and it died. We went for a run and that when I posted that first shot this am. We had some blow-ups from largemouth but no converstions to speak of. These glide baits are money.

I am in a funk right now and have not been getting any big fish. I have lost a bunch of nice ones and landed some little ones but everytime I take one of my buddies to one of my spots they kick my ass.

I did end the day on a positve. Went wading at low tide to get back a bait I spent all week making and then lost on like my 3rd cast.

IMG_2300.jpg

One more shot of chucks first striper 23lbs right before we released it.

IMG_2934.jpg

The way things are going I need to get my guiding license as I am putting people on fish but can't getter done myself. I guess if nothing else I am building up my mojo for that 50Lber I'm after.

Peace

Nufo

bro i spent 2 days blasting around looking for those things about aweek ago. I need to get my striper game up! Best bite ever when they are on fire. Hey for me the blackies switched on the swimmer bite. Ive been getting some really good ones on the RS and the k-9. My hardbait bite kinda tapered off but the rubbers got em. With this water temp going up as fast as it did its about to be post spawn wakebait bonanza

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome report bro Nufo!

You are absolutely right about the saltwater stripers being a different animal. I spent many evenings tossing plugs in the bay at Coyote Point and when I finally hooked into one I was shooked when what I thought was at least an 8 turned out to be a 5.