3:16 Rising Son.

Luke V.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome review.

I have a few questions. I am having trouble getting bait to swim true, it seems to want to roll on me or swim somewhat sideways. I stick the hook in the belly or back pending on the bait's hook orientation and I use a polamar knot. Any tips on what to do if your RS is rolling on you or swimming sideways. I have just been ignoring it because it is not that bad on certain retrieves but I would like to know how to correct it. Thanks.

awesome review.

I have a few questions. I am having trouble getting bait to swim true, it seems to want to roll on me or swim somewhat sideways. I stick the hook in the belly or back pending on the bait's hook orientation and I use a polamar knot. Any tips on what to do if your RS is rolling on you or swimming sideways. I have just been ignoring it because it is not that bad on certain retrieves but I would like to know how to correct it. Thanks.

This is exactly how mine swims, ill check the hook placement...

Luke thanks for taking the time....

awesome review.

I have had some trouble with baits rolling on me. Is the one you are using top or bottom hook? If the repositioning of the hook tip doesn't work, try putting a nail weight in the belly, that will stabilize it. I have personally never used a nail weight for it, I have used 1/8 OZ drop shot weights. I cut off the metal piece(where the line is held) and then cut the weight in half. Insert it about a CM behind the insert for top hook rigging- I have only had trouble with my top hooks rolling- put some soft bait glue on it to keep it in place and you're good to go. If this doesn't make sense, or anyone else is having trouble, let me know and I will make a video tutorial.

Here is a picture of what it should look like, also, be careful how far you push in the weight, you'll get the best result when it has a lower center of gravity.

post-651-14252986359676_thumb.jpg

Nice review luke! Question though, do you mash down the barb of the hook you put in the bait to keep it from tearing?

Yes, it makes a HUGE difference. I would definitely recommend it.

nail weights, I almost feel stupid for asking now. Thanks will definitely see if that works.

A good way to get cheap nail weights for stuff like this is buy the super cheapy panfish and small grub jigheads and cut the line tie and hook off. for five bucks you can fill and small plano. I use them to keep my rs's down and the ball of the head sits very low in the plastic keeping the keel weighting low in the body, helping reduce roll even more.

• 2 months later...

Nice review Luke. In my opinion the small bottom hook Rising Son is hands down, without question one of the best swimbaits ever produced. I really don't know how to go about putting into words how effective, easy to fish, and fun to fish this bait is, so instead I will try and put it into color with a few pictures and a few briefs thoughts and ideas.

For me, if I am struggling to get bit on a certain bait, don't know what to do next, feel like giving up, etc., I tie on a Rising Son. It's as simple as that.

You can add tungsten bullet weights to the bait and adjust the sink rate/retrieve depth. I put them on the line between the hook and the bait, facing forward like a t-rig.

You can play around with hook and split ring configurations to affect the sink rate as well (thanks Ben for the tip). Lately I've been throwing them with a 1/0 treble. A bare #1 ST-36 makes the bait practically float.

You can make it essentially jump out of the water if ripped properly on a fast enough retrieve to wake it.

If you are fishing it in the middle of the water column, a hard sweep can make it dart left or right.

They catch all sizes of fish, from small fish:

RisingSonTribute003.jpg

... to medium fish:

019.jpg

...and even big fish!

RisingSon8lb011remix.jpg

You can fish it on braid, mono, copoly, flouro, shoelaces, whatever. It feels just about perfect fished on a Custom LDC XH combined with 25# CXX, and I'm sure it would feel equally at home with braid on a Production MH or H. It casts extremely well.