This was a first..

trav

Caught this thing on a paddle tail swimbait while I was going for stripers. Hit like a brick wall and had me thinking it was a monster..... Im guessing it was about 50 pounds. Took about 20 minutes to land it. Took a picture and threw it back.

IMG_0335.jpg

And this is what my swimbait looked like after...

IMG_0336.jpg

That is a cownose ray, we get them so thick here around the bridges and piers you foul hook them constantly. They do fight hard, I lost many jigs to them when I used to fish for pompano.

Thanks for telling me what it is. I dont wanna catch another one :lol: , good thing I didnt have my FS Herring tied on, I wouldve been pissed if I had lost that

Fun stuff! I used to target them intentionally at night in the SF Bay Area - they'd take off on long runs that made you wonder if 300 yds of line was enough. Wickedly strong, and fun to catch!

Fun stuff! I used to target them intentionally at night in the SF Bay Area - they'd take off on long runs that made you wonder if 300 yds of line was enough. Wickedly strong, and fun to catch!

Yeah they are very strong. It made 3 or 4 runs when I got it to shore, about 30 or 40 yards. I didnt know what it was until it got to the shore the first time, I thought I had a shark when it first surfaced :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...