Little Booger!

Danny C.

Hey guys, just got a pair of little boogers last week to try them out. Wow! they get bit! Here is a little review with my short time with the bait.

*Im using a 7'0 MH Venture,

*Abu Garcia silver max with 15lb big game

*Retrieve:

I fished this bait 3 days the since I got it last week. Best way I was getting bit was just sub surface. Letting in sink a couple seconds and slow reeling. They would pretty much smack it! All 3 days I at least caught 3 fish. Nothing huge with the biggest being 3.7lbs. I would also swim the bait and pop it, then let it sink and then a pop. They loved that too! Like Mickey says, "just add water". :lol:

*Structure

I was throwing this bait around rocky areas. With this bait being a bottom hook bait I was nervous about throwing and getting stuck a lot. This bait sinks so slow its perfect! (knock on wood) but haven't got hung up yet. I was fishing it in 2-10 feet. Just adjust to how deep you fish it. Id just go count down depending on how deep I chucked it. You can fish this bait in trees, rocks and sandy areas.

*Overall

This Bait is a great numbers bait! Ill be ordering more. I've caught like 10+ fish on it and Im still using the same bait. This bait is tough! I haven't used glue yet either. The color Im using is chart. Works great!

Thats all I got.

Thanks guys!

Danny C., you just beat me to the review. Nice review BTW

The outline of this review was based on the review of the FS Gill by reelreport. Your report layout was very impressive so I decided to base my review off of that. Enjoy

booger4.jpg

Basic Specs

Length – 4â€

Weight – 1oz

Price - $7.99 for 2 baits

Colors

The little booger comes in a wide variety of colors: American Shad, Ayu, Baitfish, Bass, Black, Black w/chart tail, Blue Back, Bluegill, Blue Trout, Chartreuse, Chartreuse Shad, Clear Lake Hitch, Clear Lake Ghost, Dark Hitch, Hitch, Lavender, Shad, Sissy, Sunfish, Trout, White

The colors that have worked for me have been the bass, baitfish, bluegill, and white. However, similar to most 3:16 colors, they all have their place and will all depend on the area of the county and lake you are fishing. The natural colors are very similar to the actual colors of the fish they are mimicking.

Sink Rate

The bait sinks very slow. When I first bought the booger I expected the bait to float but was pleasantly surprised that it sank. Living in South Jersey, I am used to some very shallow fishing so bottom hook swimbaits are easily lost and catch more grass than fish. However, due to the slow sink rate the booger stays in the 1-4’’ or just sub surface depth. This is a great sink rate during the summer when the topwater bite is on. The sink rate also helps with the action which I will get into later in the action section.

Materials/Components

The bait is a soft bait so the materials are obvious. However, the booger has the line through technology which is a huge help for the baits longevity. The line through helps the treble from tearing up the bait as quickly as a traditional rig, as well as helping fight the fish. Also, the bait comes prepackaged with one treble hook. There are two baits and one hook. I thought I would get two hooks but I realized that the bait will end up being destroyed before the hook would.

Durability

The little booger is a soft bait which means it has a life. The little boogers that I have been fishing have had the average fish life of 15. This means I can usually get around 15 bass before the bait falls apart. This life was partially increased with the 3:16 soft bait glue. The baits did break sooner when pickerel and pike were hitting them.

Equipment

Line

The bait is rather small so the traditional swimbait gear is not needed here. I use 10lb Suffix 832 on this bait. I feel that the braid helps me keep the bait high in the water column. Also, the braid helps me with the action of the bait. I enjoy fishing the bait with some twitches thrown in and it helps with braid IMO.

Rod

Once again this is a light bait so no real swimbait rod is required. I use a Dobyns Champion Extreme 703C. This rod is usually my spinnerbait rod, however since the rod has a decent backbone I use it for little boogers as well. The rod has some nice bend to it which helps me fish the fish and it can fight the fish without overpowering it.

Reel

With the bait at 1 oz a 300 size reel is not needed. I use a Shimano Antares AR for the little booger. This reel has a 5 gear ration which helps with the slow approach that is needed for this bait. A slower reel for the little booger allows the bait to get the proper kick from the tail and lets the bait stay below the surface.

Applications

There are four major area I throw the little boogers towards. They are lily pads, docks and brush piles. These area seem to hold a large number of fish in my area and the little booger has been producing great numbers. The bait is great on a steady retrieve, but it becomes deadly when you twitch the bait near the surface. This twitch approach seems to call up the fish and gets them angry enough to blow up the baits. Sorry for the MS Paint picture. I didn’t quite have the opportunity to purchase a good online paint option.

Lily Pads

One of my favorite places to fish are lily pad fields. However, swimbaits don’t usually work well here because casting room can be difficult. I have been throwing the little booger to the outside lines of the lily pads and have seen a large number of bass come out from the pads to hit the baits. On a few occasions I have seen the lily pads move from the bass swimming towards my baits. Also, the bait does have its limitations here as the bottom hook has snagged a few pads ruining the retrieve, but it did not harm the bait.

booger1.jpg

Cast 1: The first cast was to check the boundaries on the lily pad field. The first cast I did have a fish come out from the pads but did not get the fish to commit to the bait.

Cast 2-11: Back to location one to get the fish to bite, never happened.

Cast 12: Decided to try the outsides of the pads again with no luck.

Cast 13: This case I got a little more frisky and tried to get into the pads. This is where I came back with a nice sized lily pad on the line.

Cast 14: Here is where I got my fish. The fish hit about two turns of the reel into the cast. The fish bit hard and broke the surface. It was an adrenaline rush for sure. Fish was not big, but any topwater hit is exciting.

Docks

Another popular fishing location for me are docks. The little booger has a unique ability which makes the dock fishing a nice addition. I know what you are thinking, skipping a bait with a baitcaster is impossible. Well the little booger has the right amount of material and the right shape that is does skip with a sidearm cast and a feathering spool. This means that the booger can get to the back of the docks. By having the entire dock’s undercarriage available the number of fish increases.

My first dock approach with the little booger was unsuccessful, but it did help me fish the bait.

booger2.jpg

Cast 1: This cast was towards the intersection of the shoreline and the dock. This location has produced for me in the past but it was a blank on this trip.

Cast 2: This was the cast where I learned that the bait had the ability to skip. Once again no fish but opened my eyes to the versatility of the bait.

Casts 3-7: No fish, but I attacked the dock pretty hard and got SKUNKED!

Brush Piles

Brush piles are a fun structure to fish. One problem I have had with baits in the past are getting hooked onto the sticks. This was a concern with the little booger due to the bottom hook. However, with the super slow sink rate the bait can stay high enough in the water column to avoid the sticks. I have hooked sticks on the booger and the hook is strong enough to pull the sticks back to the boat without ruining the bait.

booger3.jpg

Cast 1: This cast was when I discovered the brush pile. I would rather think of that way then say that I was talking with my buddy and the bait sank to the bottom only to come up with a stick on the bait.

Cast 2: Here is where I found that someone had placed a Christmas tree in the water. It then clicked that there was a brush pile.

Cast 4: On this cast I hook up with a fish. The bass was under 2lbs so no picture was taken.

Limitations

The bait has only one limitation, you will want to buy them all. They are readily available and they come in a ton of different colors.

Conclusion

The bait is small, but it has big results. The lure is going to get bit and by a wide array of fish sizes. I have yet to get a big fish on one, but others have shown some nice size small and largemouth. I have seen a large number of fish on the booger. The bait flat out produces numbers. It is fun to fish and it boats a lot of fish. The bait is available at (http://316lurecompany.com/baits/booger.html)

This thread will be updated when I land the big one.

Wow :shock: Tackleman Tybs review was awesome.One of the best i have seen so far.Now that is how i like the reviews to be very instructive not repetative,or boring.Grat tips and advise and made me think about trying those little boogers out.Great,great job.Please do more on other baits ;)

Atta boy luke!! and thanks speed!

Eff this lol take my review down he just showed me up haha good job tybs :)

Hell no, you did great job just enjoyed drawing samples on tybs but man i would definately enjoy reading more of your review Danny.Hope to see and read more in the future thanks :)

I was hooked on my FS shad floater. Try them out. Most of my luck has Been on the chart. At night. But jUst dedicate time to them. If they don't work pm me I'll take them lol:)

I'm starting with the booger and then upgrading to the small rising son. I'm working my way up.