Peacock on FS Gill and first bluegill

flaswimbaiter

After catching my first pea on a swimbait I was determined to catch one on a FS, I just didn’t realize that it would have happened so quickly. I am always being told small baits during the middle of the day…..well I guess I busted that myth.

At my first spot I had one miss and two follows, frustrated I switched to a smaller bait…….but that didn’t help. I lost one small fish and caught my first swimbait bluegill. I realized after I caught it that there was a whole school, people must have been feeding them there to make them so aggressive.

At my last spot for the day on my first cast I caught the one in the pic, which I a new PB for me at 2lbs 7oz. About 100’ down the shore I jumped a smaller one. As I moved around the corner I made a long cast, as I start burning it a large wake come up behind it, I pause and speed it up again and BOOOSHHH. I knew it was a big one, I played it easy swung him around to flip him on shore and THE FREAKIN HOOKS PULL!!!! :twisted: It was at least a 4 pounder, the trophy I have been chasing for years; I am still pissed and can’t get him out of my head. After that I sight cast one a little smaller than that one and it too came of right at the shore line. :o:evil::twisted::twisted:

Things like that just drive you batty, I sure hope I get another opportunity soon and land a big one.

PeaonFSGill.jpg

Bluegill.jpg

Cool fish Dave, if you can believe it someone caught one of those in a popular lake right down the road from me up here in MA! Must have been a fish tank release, but it caught a lot of news because it likely wintered over... :shock:

Nice catch!! Peacocks are sick on swimbaits, went with a guide in Hawaii and he thought I was crazy... Another boater shouted at me "This aint the amazons!" By the end of the day the guide told me to get him some!! LOL caught about 6 peacocks before they broke a custom wood hard bait bluegill bent the split rings, hooks and just destroyed it. Biggest was a 6lber - flordia is awesome too even caught some on 3:16 little boogers. I can only imagine what it would be like there now with freestyle gills, shad and baby wakes! They hate bright orange bottom swimbaits. :)

• 2 weeks later...