Glide Bait Review

flaswimbaiter

This is a review of glide baits in general. I tried my best to show their versatility and range. I am hoping that some of you with more experience will give your view point or provide some input.

My video review

Japanese videos of the Gan Craft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ffaHWaDso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJouWbZriEU&feature=related

Killer Instinct F-18

Rago Glideator

Here are some of the fish I have caught using the glide baits in the review.

7lbs-1.jpg

6lbs10oz.jpg

6lbsestimate.jpg

Seiji Kato's site has a couple of videos showing different ways to fish glides. I can't post an external link but if you google the exact phrase (use the quotes) "Bass can not recognize the lure as a fake and they bait many times" you will find his site. [Love the Engrish]

Great review! Questions, which hooks stick'em the most the back or front and are you working them around structure or open water. I've been throwing the S-waver, but haven't landed anything yet.

The front hook always seems to get them in the corner of the mouth. I believe they are either swiping at it and getting hooked on the outside of the mouth, or T-boning it. I got to see the a take last week and he t-boned it.

I use it both in open water and along structure, I have had bites both ways. All of these baits get followed a lot. If I fished from a boat I would use it as a search bait.

Excellent review and great insight. Thanks so much for sharing!

I've noticed some of the people fishing the gancraft claw using lead tape under the jaw.and belly. Anyone know how this effects the swim motion? And its advantages?

Again cool stuff! I have two of these claws and a glideator and still trying to figure them out. This is really great info!

Excellent review and great insight. Thanks so much for sharing!

I've noticed some of the people fishing the gancraft claw using lead tape under the jaw.and belly. Anyone know how this effects the swim motion? And its advantages?

Again cool stuff! I have two of these claws and a glideator and still trying to figure them out. This is really great info!

In my experience balance and weighting are critical with these baits and the action is dependent on it. Almost all, no scratch that, all of the glides i have fished have been a moderate to slow sinker and are typically fished in the upper water column. Id venture to bet they are just trying to get a faster sink rate with the lead tape and not really change the action at all.

whats hard for me to figure out is what action I like. Ive really been playing with the design side of these baits lately since they are so popular now. Before I had a few and tehy had a real wide s motion. I swam them almost like a triple trout. But with bait adjustments i can acheive tighter s's (narrower side to side) and also what happend after the retieve is stopped. Like make it turn around or just glide off to the side. I made this shiner one with a tight s but it glides really far off to the side if the retrieve is stopped

.post-859-1425298712609_thumb.jpg

I thought this resembled a shiner swim more. Does anyone have a preference or notice getting more bites on a certain action or style. From the videos Ive seen all the baits have completely different action but Im sure they are all effective at a certain time. To many choices! :lol::lol::lol: these baits can be adjusted so many ways its crazy and hard to choose.

Thats nice Ceasar, do you have any video of it in action? I would really like to see it.

Just like the freestyle I like to toss it in one area and try all the retrieves to see what the fish are reacting too.  

One thing I discovered a couple of weeks ago, while I  was sight casting with one, is that some fish will react differently to the same retrieve.  I kept trying to get this one fish to bite, but all he would do is swat at it. Another fish came down the shoreline and jumped on it.

under4-Copy-Copy.jpg

Yeah its drying with more topcoats on it now, I will upload some stuff to you tube at the end of the week. I threw this one together pretty quick. With so many choices its hard to pick one. I like the narrower gliders though, i like the way they look on the steady retrieve with a pause here and there. went to pick up an s waver and the guy told me some of them are duds and you get ones that are not up to par sometimes, so i passed.

Cool review Dave. Yes that web link from Seiji is really cool and the language when transalated to engerish is priceless. I think of the glides somewhat as a "wildcard" sometimes. I've had a few instances where they didn't want traditional straight swimmers and tied on a glide and started getting strikes. Other days its the ultimate follow generator. I do like them in bright sun/clear water because I believe the movement somewhat masks the negatives that fish can more easily detect on a straight line swimmer. Also I think why you see these baits as typically slow sinkers is very important to their performance. High floaters and fast sinkers I believe move the bait out of the sweet spot peformancewise. To glide well something must be at or near the same density as the water its displacing. To light and you get too much resistance to movement....too heavy and your fighting to keep the nose up it gets lethargic.

Some of the first true swimming glides (not jerkbait muskie style) I know of came out of So Cal back in the early 90's in the form of single piece floaters. They don't glide as far but do display a wide S swimming motion and the guys in "the know" were and still slay stripers on them.

Nice work,

JK

I picked up an Evergreen Esflat during a recent trip to Illinois.

P9241213-Copy_zpsb0dc3991.jpg

The bait with tail is approximately 5.75†and weighs around 2oz.

It is a nice bait which offers a different profile than the other glidebaits on the market. However, the shape does not hinder its ability to perform. It has a nice wide S motion and although the joint is tight, you can really get it twitching back and forth.

The only downside is that it sinks a little faster than the Gan Craft and sinks with its head down instead of level. I am not sure if this will affect the lure’s ability to get bit, we will see.

The lures hardware appears to be very sturdy and the stock hooks are very strong (Owner heavy wire according to the web). I actually though about changing them out to get a slower sink rate. The one time I took the bait for a few minutes, I got one hit and one follow. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase. If I do have any success with the bait, I will post a pic.

Yesterday I took my smaller Gan Craft (148) out saltwater fishing and was surprised how much attention it got. I got very few hits on my other baits, but as soon as I started using this one, I started getting nailed. They really liked it on the pause. I caught many trout, a single catfish and also had three other species try to eat it.

post-91-14252987167592_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great review man! I should be getting a Killer Instict F-18 glide bait in soon and cant wait to throw it. This will be my first glide bait so looking forward to learn it and see if I can put some fish in the boat! :D

• 2 weeks later...