Glide Bait Review

flaswimbaiter

Thats a good question. All the gill glides I've seen thus far have a super tight s-swim to them...perhaps someone can chime in with one that swims wider. While I'm sure someone will figure out how to make one that truly glides like the trout/minnow versions....I believe the issue is with the inherent shape of the bluegill profile that is tall and stubby. That shape is not one that naturu=ally lends itself well to gliding through the water. Some will say bluegill don't move like that but I think that wide motion is a trigger that will cause trailing fish to eat at times when they won't hit a bait that just tracks straight or slightly off center. Of course then you have the polar opposite "non actional" baits coming out of Japan that literally don't do anything.... : ) Its a never ending maze.

J

I learned something important a couple of days ago regarding the use of these baits. I was fishing clear water for snook and had a wolf pack of them chasing and swatting at my bait. I had three big ones actually grab it and then I pulled it out of their mouths. I also remember that most of my good hook ups were when I didn't see the bite.

In my opinion, I think these should be fished like a top water when they are within site. Let the fish take it and turn and let them hook themselves, set the hooks afterwards. This should increase your hook up ratio.

If anyone has a difference of opinion, please post it.

I learned something important a couple of days ago regarding the use of these baits. I was fishing clear water for snook and had a wolf pack of them chasing and swatting at my bait. I had three big ones actually grab it and then I pulled it out of their mouths. I also remember that most of my good hook ups were when I didn't see the bite.

In my opinion, I think these should be fished like a top water when they are within site. Let the fish take it and turn and let them hook themselves, set the hooks afterwards. This should increase your hook up ratio.

If anyone has a difference of opinion, please post it.

+1 I have noticed this with other baits (lipless hardbaits, rats). When I can see the fish and it eats on the pause or rip, if I swing before I feel them on and they dont get a chance to turn I miss every time. If I see one eat i steady reel until theres pressure or no fish

Hey guys I know I'm new around here but I just picked up a rago glide gill because I heard the new hinge makes it glide far. Well I threw it in a pond and it glides pretty far once you figure out the right amount of reel turn......it also has a fast retrieve of an s swim. I read Mike longs review of it and he said he got it to glide up to 3 feet. Idk but I'm going to fish it in some lakes I have in mind and if I get something ill report back maybe do a swim video. I have the glide gill with the old hinge even caught a few fish on it but they are two entirely different baits if you ask me.