What is your definition of a swimbait?

swimbaitunderground

What is your definition of a swimbait?  

965 members have voted

1. 1. What is your definition of a swimbait?

• Any bait that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 4" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 8" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 10" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger
    • Any Bait 8" or larger

• 1 month later...

wasnt really talking "smack" more just a question if the freestyle gill is considered a swimbait if its under 5 inches. and for the lack of fish pictures thats just a lack of time on the water. i have probably only spent 15 days on the water this year so far. too much going on.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the size of a swimbait is based upon the size of the bait fish where you fish. Some places don't have trout so a 4 to 6 inch shad like bait or bluegill is what your going to throw. In California that's a different story. A true swim bait must have realistic qualities to it, it must swim like a real bait fish (trout, small bass, shad and bluegill), it has to fool a bass into eating it and it must have a life like pattern painted on it. That is why guys like Mickey make their baits the way they do.

• 4 weeks later...

i thing bassmasterzack was defending your freestyle gil if anything. he was just replying to the other posts about swimbaits being over 6 inches. im sure he has the upmost respect for you and the swimbait masterpieces you make, as do i and the rest of the swimbait community. that gil is absolutely sick and by no means was he saying it wasnt a swimbait.

i thing bassmasterzack was defending your freestyle gil if anything. he was just replying to the other posts about swimbaits being over 6 inches. im sure he has the upmost respect for you and the swimbait masterpieces you make, as do i and the rest of the swimbait community. that gil is absolutely sick and by no means was he saying it wasnt a swimbait.

This :D

New to S.U., here's my take on this. For me, I think the definition of a swimbait should point back to the origin of its name. Since most lures swim to some effect, it can be misleading. Being from Louisiana, I don't know exactly when the term swimbait came about, but my first recollection was the reference to the big ac plug trout imitators in California. I remember how intrigued I was at the idea of throwing such a huge bait which would probably have the exclusive interaction with only the biggest of bass in any water. I understood the pattern of matching the forage of stocked trout.. a really big bait fish.

In S. Louisiana, we fish with soft plastic paddle tail minnow imitators for speckled trout and redfish. They have a swimming tail design and have been around for 30+ years. Some call those swimbaits. They are only 3.5 inches. If someone saw that bait and heard the term swimbait for the first time, they would miss the entire essence of the swimbait craze, at least in my opinion.

I remember the Castaic baits coming along with bluegill and other fish imitations and then the Huddlestons. What stood out about swimbaits to me or what defined a swimbait was that it was a big swimming fish body lure (hard or soft) that was geared for big bass and if anyone sees you throwing one you'll hear " what in the hell are you fishing for a world record"? That's my definition.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly not an expert, but my opinion is this..........there are guys here throwing the big hard swimbaits that cost serious bucks. There are also guys here throwing paddletails, handpours, 3:16's and Hudds...they are no less enthusiastic about those baits, I actually am one of them. I think generally speaking, the genre of swimbaits comprises both types from small to large......I've thrown 3 and 4" sassy shads on a ballhead since forever and although I hardly consider them swimbaits.....they might be to some. I guess it is what you make of it and there are planty of guys here who can help you if you delve from one type to another.

I am from Minnesota and a lot of guys consider baits like the shadalicious to be swimbaits Granted they have that motion but if you can throw it on spinning gear that's not a real swimbait. It's funny I have had some baits tied on rods on the deck and get back to the landing guys are asking me how I did muskie fishing or I didn't know there are muskies in this lake. I just tell them not good didn't even see one. They don't need to know a 1 lb bass will hit an 8" bait if it has the right profile in the water. It's also crazy how my definition of a "big bait" has change since c oming to the dark side.

my thoughts are if it has a natural swiming motion then its a swimbait wake baits depends theres swiming wakebaits and theres billed wakebaits plunkers and stuff like them i consider a popper or glider

I think it is Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species. Thats were i draw the line 6" or below.

Or any bait you can use to cheat with, then help your dad win some "prize money", and throw an innocent man under the bus... :lol: the NS Cheater bait was born...