What is your definition of a swimbait?

swimbaitunderground

What is your definition of a swimbait?  

965 members have voted

1. 1. What is your definition of a swimbait?

• Any bait that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 4" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 8" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 10" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger
    • Any Bait 8" or larger

I think it is Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species. Thats were i draw the line 6" or below.

Or any bait you can use to cheat with, then help your dad win some "prize money", and throw an innocent man under the bus... :lol: the NS Cheater bait was born...

shouldn't it be called a Cheating Dirty Sanches? there could be jr. and sr. models

I think it is Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species. Thats were i draw the line 6" or below.

Or any bait you can use to cheat with, then help your dad win some "prize money", and throw an innocent man under the bus... :lol: the NS Cheater bait was born...

shouldn't it be called a Cheating Dirty Sanches? there could be jr. and sr. models

Yeah, and they are both Sissies for not fessing up to their dirt...:-D

• 2 weeks later...

I also have my own opinion as to what a "Real Swimbait" is. For me, it has to do with realism and swimming action and less to do with size or weight. I don't consider Money Minnows and the likes "real swimbaits" because of the lack of realism. I do, however, consider the LC AA Trash Fish somewhat of a "real swimbait." The reason behind this train of thought is based on the realism and detail of the Trash Fish. I also consider my soft gill baits "real swimbaits," even the U2's that I own. This is how I determine my answer with the smaller baits. With larger baits, it comes down to the same "realism," but not as much. I have some of the line-thru flat top Optimums, and while these don't have much "realism," I still consider them "Real Swimbaits."

So, a "Real Swimbait" is pretty much defined by the guy throwing what he considers to be one. Everybody has their different definitions, as well as their different reasons for their definitions. For me it comes down mostly to realism and swimming action. If it looks like a realistic baitfish and swims realistically, it's a swimbait to me, hard or soft. if it looks like a small cheap piece of plastic with a boot tail on it, it's a Money Minnow type bait, not a REAL SWIMBAIT.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From what I understand, a swimbait used to be any rubber shad with a paddle/boot tail. So when I started hearing whispers about "swimbait fishing" catching a lot of big fish I was like "big deal, I've been catching fish with rubber shad for a long time." These days, I interpret swimbait fishing as "going after BIG fish with BIG lures." When you pull out a "swimbait" most people will say "that's for saltwater, right?! There's no way you'll catch anything on that in this lake/pond." And then you go out and catch anything from a pig of a fish to a punk little 10" bass with a big appetite. As far as the smaller baits from "swimbait" companies, I think those were made mostly to accomodate #'s fisherman and anglers who don't want to throw for bass with musky gear. In all fairness, "swimbait fishing" should really be called something like "big bait fishing" or "monster bass fishing".

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

One could argue that if its not geared for tournament size fish than its probably a swimbait mentality. Besides, if you're reading and posting on this forum than you most likely feel you're throwing swimbaits. What exactly that is depends on who's throwing and to what body of water. In other words. Does it really matter? ;)

• 4 months later...

I always thought of 2" sassy shads as swimbaits, even back 30+ years ago when we killed white bass with them. That was WAY before anything resembling the modern idea of swimbaits came along. At least for bass fishing. For muskie? Yes. For bass? Not back then. :lol:

To me, a swimbait is something intended to draw a stroke because of its realism rather than a reaction strike. Do they draw reaction strikes? Yes, but most of these fish look at a swimbait longer than they would a crank. I would also say it is bigger than traditional tackle.

Examples:

I consider the no bull a SB, but not a bronzeye

Mini slammer is a SB, but a deps buzzjet is not

If someone were to make a lobster size crawdad out of line through plastic, I would consider this a SB.

Some have said magic swimmers aren't, I understand why but this is also a east coast bait vs a left coast bait.

I'm not sure about a Henrietta, never held one.

Punkers are, but saltwater Zara's aren't.

• 5 months later...

Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species

I view a swimbait as a lure that imitates a "swimming" motion; like a flag blowing in the wind. Size does matter; just because the tail flutters doesn't constitute a swimbait.