What is your definition of a swimbait?

swimbaitunderground

What is your definition of a swimbait?  

965 members have voted

1. 1. What is your definition of a swimbait?

• Any bait that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 4" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 8" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 10" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger
    • Any Bait 8" or larger

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Let's be honest, use the socal origination. SU was founded offf of big 6+ hard or soft baits that mimic a swimming motion. Then the box got bigger with punkers and dead sticks and glides. Most of us are not posting got em posts with money minnows. We all have some inclination that those would not count. A 5" punters is a spook. An 8" punker is a big bait. We throw (mostly) large expensive big baits that mimic swimming. Sure mike long gets it done on 14" worms, not a swimbait and not what we would post as a big bait here. If it's big, swims and you would bigslant for it then it counts.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/19/2011 at 6:25 PM, BigBait Intervention said:

If your belief is that swimbaits are only categorized or defined by size, then welcome to the box.....And that being a very tiny box indeed.

If this is the case, then I'd have to give up some of my smaller 3:16 weapons, like my Little Booger's, MissionFish, 3:16 Minnows, Curltails, Bluegills, Sunfish, and Shads........Yikes!

Nothing like eliminating some of the most productive 3:16 soft swimbaits in my arsenal just because some feel the need to diminish or eliminate the swimbait moniker due to size restrictions.

My reply is not pointed at anyone with a different opinion, but is only a response and my perspective to the question presented by the Swimbait Underground Crew.

Maybe the real challenge is in the word "swimbait or swimbaiting". I mean we're all just using LURES, some of those lures just happen to be big, really big, or really-really big lures. Can it be defined by separating soft baits and hard baits on polar opposite sides of the spectrum or into different categories all together? Is swimbaiting a reference to motion, technique, bait size, manufacturing material, or maybe a state of mind?

God forbid it would just be the inclusion into an elitist group of monster bait chuckers! ;)

I could expound further, but I digress.

BBI

:D

I completely agree, there are plenty of killer swimbaits 5 inches and down. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/25/2011 at 5:19 PM, GRIZZ said:

Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species 8-)

I love the clarity but do my dad’s old 7-10” rapalas, believers and musky hard baits count? Are they not intended to imitate the swimming of a forage species? 
somehow I feel like the inclusion of a joint is key, but even then split a swimbait from a big jointed rap? Short version - where does crankbait end and swimbait begin? More importantly - is that even truly important or just the Nth rabbit hole in this wonderful sport? Let’s just catch the damn fish lol...