First Fish of the New Year

Top Ramen

Nice going! I just met Sean today as we were both getting into the Bird.

I have only been fishin ladybird since Oct. I kinda got here from fly fishing and have always been a topwater kinda guy. Less strikes but more fun.

Seeing the giant swimbaits Sean had on, and the giant fish guys like you are posting, I feel a swimbait conversion coming on.

Nice going! I just met Sean today as we were both getting into the Bird.

I have only been fishin ladybird since Oct. I kinda got here from fly fishing and have always been a topwater kinda guy. Less strikes but more fun.

Seeing the giant swimbaits Sean had on, and the giant fish guys like you are posting, I feel a swimbait conversion coming on.

Last spring, a lot of the guys on the local kayak forum where snickering at our baits. Now, not so much.

If you like topwater, you should try one of the larger wake baits, like a Slammer or a Wake Jr. The hits on them can be massive. One of the bass that hit Sean's Wake Jr. this summer looked like one of those old submarine missile launch videos -- it came all the way out of the water, almost straight up!

Last spring, a lot of the guys on the local kayak forum where snickering at our baits. Now, not so much.

Well, from what I know, you and Sean are one of the first to fish swimbaits from a kayak here in the Austin area and your results of catching big fish slowly spread through the kayak fishing community. Other kayak fisherman are picking up on it now and for me talking and fishing with you guys regularly it was hard to not give it a try.

Hopefully, as I learn more about swimbait fishing, I can catch "toads on the reg" like you guys! Nice toad by the way and heck of a catch for your first fish of the year.