What comes after Valentines day?? Mothers day!

evans_usmc69

My Roman Made US Trout Mother arrived on Valentines day and even though I had to work a 12 hour shift, I had to go fishing! With a bait of this size, I was expecting like a bite every 5th trip or something similar.....not what I seen on my first trip in 43 degree water.

After playing around with it in the middle of the lake, on my first cast on a dock, I had 2 largemouth in the 6-8lb class follow it out. Nothing special, I know. However, what happened next is what blew my mind. I kept the bait dangling in the water and the fish STAYED right underneath it fixated on the bait(like 8ft away from me!). I started to make a figure 8 with the bait and BAM! The bigger of the two tried to eat it, but didn't hook up. He swam around and came back after it with me twitching the bait, but this time it was just kind of a half hearted kiss.

Needless to say, that had me all excited! I kept throwing the mother and had fish after fish ranging from 12" up to 10+ lbs either come after the bait, smack at it, or just swim beside it like they were trying to date it. I am guessing I had somewhere between 15 and 20 bites and I lost count of followers in the first hour or so.....but NO hookups.

Finally hit a bank later in the day that was shady and got this fish. Not big, but it popped the Mother's cherry and made my day. The only thing that sucked is the DD that swirled on the bait the cast before :twisted: Gotta thank AZTrouteaters for talking me into trying the Roman Made baits out. Only one trip so far, but I am really impressed with them!

Nice. Those followers can be very frustrating. :evil:

I can handle the followers, I'm used to that...but the sheer number of fish coming up and bumping the bait and smacking at it without hooking up is what made me so crazy! I've never seen fish act like that in 43-47 degree water. I picked up a 8" hudd and tried it on a few docks and never even got a follower :twisted:

That's awesome ! Can't wait for mine to come in the mail, who knows when Ill get it, but they def have not seen these in new York where I fish !! Is there anything you can do to help the hook ups ? Not much on the followers I guess but I'f their hitting the bait what can. Be done to help hook up?

That's awesome ! Can't wait for mine to come in the mail, who knows when Ill get it, but they def have not seen these in new York where I fish !! Is there anything you can do to help the hook ups ? Not much on the followers I guess but I'f their hitting the bait what can. Be done to help hook up?

I'm not sure but I'm gonna try to find out! The bait has so much drawing power that it just blew me away. I have never seen fish act the way they did in such cold water.

Awesome seeing you chuck the big stuff Travis!

Thanks Ben, I wouldn't even attempt to throw it on another rod, it handles it perfectly :D