Badge of Honor....

Acuna

I haven't caught a fish since New Year's Day. Been throwing big baits on trips lasting less than four hours so I am only giving myself limited opportuities, and thus I'm not terribly surprised at my lack of success.

I am trying to catch something in the 13+ range. My friends are tearing up the 4-8 pound fish on conventional tackle. They think I am crazy.

This no fish catching thing is becoming a badge of honor.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bite for medium-sized fish is good right now. I think I've got about ten fish over five pounds so far this month (three over seven), even though I've hardly been on the water.

What are you throwing? If it's a ten-inch bait, you should still be getting hit by 7/8/9lb fish. Sean told me he had a 2-3lb fish hit his 250SS the other day and I know Alan has some 4-5lb fish on his.

Keep grinding. Hopefully that Mother will spark something for you.

Good job for sticking it out. I think the toughest part of last year for me was getting over the mentality of wanting x number of fish per trip. The bite seems to really be picking up, so you are due. Keep sticking with it, you'll get Kilimanjaro ;)

Oh don't worry fellas, I am not quitting. I just wish I had more....... time. I think that is the biggest thing hurting me. I just don't get enough time on the water to give these bigger baits the chance they need. I am maybe spending 4 hours a week with a line in the water. A lot of people are getting to put in 5 times that amount. Its all about odds. I'd give anything to have three good days to get up, set up on some of my spots and work them all day long, because the bigger fish will get on them at some point and I just need to be there when they do...

I've been throwing the 250 almost exclusively (had a little Hudd time) and will continue to do so until the Mother arrives, then it will be her turn.

Dont listen to the conventional guys. Keep on the grind for the big girls, they are a different class of fish, different habits and movements. Prime time is here and 4 hrs is better than none man, i havent been on a real trip since december!! That mother should draw In some toads

Not to worry fellas, a lot of really good friends of mine are die hard "conventional" guys. They give my grief, but all in good fun, they want me to get a giant like I am trying to get.

My goal? Biggest fish in the lake, hopefully at least 16.04 pounds. That is the only fish I am after right now.

What keeps me going is just visualizing that shadow rising up from under my bait. Just to see that one true monster in the lakes that I fish is all I'm after. Don't get me wrong, the 3-9.99lbers will help me along the way, but like you I am after the big one.

Another thing is to get that time restraint mental block out of your head. It only takes one cast to get that big one, but you have to keep focus on the task at hand whether you have the chance to make a 10 minute trip or an all day trip. Maximize your time the best you can and if it's a short trip, use it to your advantage.

Keep chucking those big baits man and it will pay off eventually....and until then wear that badge with pride :D

BTW, if you are really focused on that one bite, you might want to add a 10" Freestyle into the mix. Completely different presentation than the Deps or the Mother. If you can find one in koke or got it painted like a gizzard shad, I think it could pull some fat girls out of Lake Austin.

It will def payoff dont sweat it at all,you will have somedays that remind you why you do this,i have been at it hard for awhile this year and only have 3 saugeyes one lmb and one smb to show for it but thats ok because come mar ill be ripping the got em section to shreds,

it only takes one cast to land a monster

I am basically in the same boat haven't caught a fish since first week of the year, people I fish with think swimbait fishing is a fad. I have been getting a few hours here and there a couple days a week. Last week I was messing around at a lake and pretty much had the same mind set ahhh nothing is going to bite today but ill keep grinding. I got a huge blow up I missed (my own damn fault) but it put the fire under my ass! To me it's almost as good just to get some attention from a fish as to catch the damn thing hahaha. Now I have been like zoned in the last trip and I am ready for Miss Piggy hahaha. I completely feel your pains man!

Up early for another day of grinding.... My old tourney partner called earlier in the week and wanted to go with me. He and his wife were over for dinner last night and I showed him what I will be throwing..... LOL. He was shocked, but respects the quest.

His words, "Andrew, I know you. After I catch about ten fish on senkos you'll be begging for a worm." Litttle does he know! It would almost be a shame to break my no fish catching streak now! BWAHAHahahahahahahahahahahaha!