Payoff

colbypearson

Found a giant today, noted the high on Friday (68 degrees) after a few weeks of typical Oregon dreary 40-50 degree high's. Water temps still in the 40's, but every year in late February/Early March a few big ones move up to sun, showing themselves to the few patient anglers who interpreted the conditions and trusted their instincts. I waited above a few ledges for hours on Saturday, finally saw a small fish come up, a good sign. Hours passed and toward the end of the day the fish I had been waiting for showed itself, it disappeared into the depths and I didn't make a cast at it. I have put in years of time learning a few local lakes and small reservoirs learning their spots and the habits of fish in them. I knew the fish I had seen would make one of two moves most likely. I went to my spot today and saw the fish again, this time it moved to a shallower early early staging area, good for sunning and following recently stocked trout. Made a cast past her to see her mood and she wasn't gonna play, went to a different area for a few hours and returned to the area, spooked the fish but adjusted and moved to a nearby area the fish was slowly heading toward. Casted past my mental map of that fishes likely path, over a point where the fish would funnel up to my bait, and got popped.

post-86-14252988142564_thumb.jpg