Dead Horse Custom Baits

BHud4

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand where everybody in this post is coming from. So, I'm just going to offer the knowledge I can on the topic.

I had the chance to fish with the owner of Dead Horse baits a few days ago and I was able to try some of his stuff out.

I fished everything he has currently available aside from the prop bait. I had 5 fish and he had 4. My biggest was probably around a 3, nothing to rave about but it was fun, and on one of his baits too. He managed a 6 Lb 5oz DONKEY on his 6" ss bass glider, bad little bait. He hooked it up with a ss truegill and that was what all but one of my fish came on, the other was on a ss faded carp color 6" glider. I was fishing the truegill on a custom H with a lexa and 20 lb big game, a bit much for the bait but I didn't want to bring the MH that day. The 6" was on a Production H with a curado 300 and 25 lb big game, the rod and reel were perfect for the bait but the line could have been 20 and it would have cast a bit better. I had the chance to fish the B2 as well, but didn't fish it much so I don't feel I should comment on it. The truegill has a tight little "s" action and darts amazingly on the pause or twitch. They are best fished at a medium retrieve with twitches(best producing retrieve). I don't know the exact length or weight. I fished the truegill the most so I also don't want to get into too much with the 6" glider. It glides about 8-10" either direction and darts well, that's about as far as I got with the bait before picking the gill back up, the one fish on the 6" was on a slow roll making the bait bounce off a wall, she pinned it against the wall.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone, don't take this as a full review because I honestly don't feel I have enough time on the bait to properly analyze it.

Good info Luke! thanks...and Lets fish soon! we live way too close to each other! haha - Cheers

wow..... this guy didn't have to put up anything but he did to be a cool guy and try to help some people out. some people need to grow up. RUBBERDADDY! i very rarely come on here anymore. it's people like this guy who make me realize why i don't.

Rubberdaddy posted one of the rules of the forum, what's the big deal?

If someone is going to make a claim such as a bait being "better than a Deps or Rago," which are extremely proven baits, then IMO you better have some results to back it up.

I didnt see anyone here doubting that it would catch fish. No one. We just want to see that it, in fact, DOES CATCH FISH and not just swim pretty. Is it even remotely durable?

Perhaps if the review was prefaced with something about "initial impressions" and "more to follow" then it might be more well received. Telling me something I have never heard about is "bitchin" doesnt make me want to run out and drop money on something. Quite the contrary.

I believe all anyone was asking, myself included, was to vet the bait a bit more before proclaiming it the greatest glide bait ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Not only have i posted a fish cuaght on the dead horse gil but so did mike! im confused why people are so angry about this hahahaha but i have attached the photo agian.

all of your questions can be answered by googling Dead Horse Baits Shopify in google but the baits are priced amazingly:

9 inch glider $80

6 INCH GLIDER $65

Gil is $50

I find that the bait is best fished with a slow roll and a couple twitches thrown in there..the thing that sold me on these baits is the ability to make it do a full 180! finicky followers would have to agree 8-) I had a fish follow it to the boat twice then on the third cast when he followed it agian i made it do a full 180 by giving it a good twitch/tug and that fish attacked the bait like there was no tomorrow once it turned to the follower! I also found that the floating gill works wonders as a dead stick type of bait..

do a little research and dont rely on others to spoon feed you your information and rember a tiger doesnt lose sleep over what the sheep say :lol:

post-2095-14252988415777_thumb.jpg

This is Swimbait Underground. A member driven, unbiased forum for Big Bait enthusiasts and their pursuit of Trophy Fish; it's time to put up or shut up! The Underground was created to provide swimbaiters with an open, no BS forum to discuss swimbaits and related techniques. This is truly a site created by swimbaiters for swimbaiters. No board sponsors hiding behind advertising dollars and censoring your voice. Our loyalty is to YOU, the fisherman. Any bait or gear that you are excited about and want to share, please do, but we expect the following: a detailed description, pictures, video (if applicable) and definitely the fish to back it up.

You gonna put up or shut up??? If it's half as good as you say it shouldn't take you long to throw up a cast to catch video. I know nothing about these baits, but I know what the Underground used to stand for. Step it up and show us what this bait has got

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9255

do a little research and dont rely on others to spoon feed you your information and rember a tiger doesnt lose sleep over what the sheep say

Do some research? Isn't reading a review on here considered research?

You're gonna do this guy's business more harm than good saying ish like that on here. :lol:

do a little research and dont rely on others to spoon feed you your information and rember a tiger doesnt lose sleep over what the sheep say

Do some research? Isn't reading a review on here considered research?

You're gonna do this guy's business more harm than good saying ish like that on here. :lol:

you could consider it "research" but maybe research prices via companys website?? but idk and do you really think people are gonna give up their secret's over review?? i read reviews, hear what others have to say about the product but i dont consider it research becuase its just people's opinion, its like wikiopedia its opinion but yet facts. and i defiantly dont relie on others to tell me EVERYTHING.

thanks for your opinion SpeedBead :)

I didn't see anyone asking for the secret potion to catch fish on the bait. I've done a couple reviews on here and as I posted before, gave you some general suggestions to help you make a more complete review. I'll provide them again. \

BHud, a couple questions to further your review if I may:

How much does it cost?

How much does it weigh?

What kind of hardware comes on the bait?

How long did it take from order to receiving the bait?

What gear are you fishing it on to get your opinions?

What is the tail made of?

None of the questions were anything out of the ordinary. A review that is posted in good faith on here is supposed to help the guys reading it who have never even heard of the bait. A complete review is provided and then follow up questions, if the reader has any, should be asked and answered.

I'll pat people on the back when it's been earned but not before. ;)

I didn't see anyone asking for the secret potion to catch fish on the bait. I've done a couple reviews on here and as I posted before, gave you some general suggestions to help you make a more complete review. I'll provide them again. \

BHud, a couple questions to further your review if I may:

How much does it cost?

How much does it weigh?

What kind of hardware comes on the bait?

How long did it take from order to receiving the bait?

What gear are you fishing it on to get your opinions?

What is the tail made of?

None of the questions were anything out of the ordinary. A review that is posted in good faith on here is supposed to help the guys reading it who have never even heard of the bait. A complete review is provided and then follow up questions, if the reader has any, should be asked and answered.

I'll pat people on the back when it's been earned but not before. ;)

Im not looking for a pat on the back hahaha My question is why am i being asked the price and weight?? hahaha the website lists that so obviously someone isnt doing much research if any.. If you relie on others in this world you wont get far ..

These bait swim great and mike really puts in the time to dial it in to exactly what you are looking for.. i posted a fish cuaght by a truegil and told you they swim great and are very versitile becuase they swim or glide a foot and half to each side with quick twitches or glide 4 inches when they are slow rolled what more do you want from me? get out there and fish them yourself! jeez so much for trying to help out

Any review is better then no review..good luck out there everyone :D

Think I'll pass, thanks. :roll:

jeez so much for trying to help out

I agree with you on this part. Tried to give you some constructive feedback and ask for some more info and this is what you come up with? Hope you stick something worthwhile someday.

Some of the basic things I look for when I am reading a swimbait review are things like initial impressions, all the specs on the bait, hardware, bait action (how it swims in the water) and bait performance (does it catch fish).

Not every review has to catch fish but it is a major plus, just like video of the bait swimming is a HUGE plus. If a new bait comes and some one gets one, it is helpful to me if they lay down the facts of the specs of the bait, hardware, how it looks in the water. I have found lots of reviews helpful where a guy says I haven't had time to fish the bait much yet but here is what it does in the water, here is the specs etc. A review just saying a bait is awesome is not helpful... it gives me no insite to the bait.

You need to realize the fishing world (not just swimbait world) is FULL of guys pimping baits that are trash or completely unproven. Its a big business and everyone should be a little cautious. Reviews that come out just saying how awesome a bait is without any of the details sets off red flags for guys that have been around a while.

Live and learn. Now you know what guys expect out of a review and you can knock it out of the park next time.