Roman Made Mother

evans_usmc69

PicsArt_1365833758337_zpsc8330c87.jpg

Roman Made Mother

Configs: Regular bottom hooks, Custom(top hooks), and Triple. Reviewing the regular bottom hook Mother unless the other config is specified.

PicsArt_1365833693979_zpsdd1e2d7e.jpg

Size and Weight: 11.8â€(300mm) 10.5oz(300 grams) Wood

Color Of Choice: US Trout & Regular Trout. Was told the US trout was designed and thoroughly tested to work in clear and stained water. I have gotten a lot more action in clear water, but I have also had a few bites and follows in stained water as well. It’s definitely a color that seems to draw attention in both.

Price-$400-$425

PicsArt_1365833831006_zpsb188f1da.jpg

Setup: First and foremost, if you are going to invest that much cash in a bait, you need to invest that much in the setup to throw it. For me, I use a 8’6†LDC Custom XXH and Calcutta 401TE(supertuned by Animal Reel House), spooled with 30lb P-Line CXX.

Hardware: The hardware is solid on this bait and I have yet to have any problems other than a silencer coming off and a tail come loose which I re-glued back on with no issue. I’m not sure what hooks come on the bait, they look like an Owner ST-66 2/0, but I was told they are not.

Reliability: The most used of my 3 mothers, the regular bottom hook US trout, has a good 50+ hours of 10.5 ounces slapping the water over and over. I knocked a silencer off and had to figure out a way to silence it to keep the wood from knocking together and chipping the paint….because I couldn’t get my hands on the silencers(even though I’m on the "RMUSA Pro Staff"! :lol: ). It’s a wood bait like a Slammer, so it’s going to get that wicked hook rash with these big hooks. I don’t think the hook rash has affected the swim at all, but the silencer missing most certainly did. If you do get this bait, pick up some silencers if you can find them, you will probably need them. If not and you happen to lose one(told ya so! :lol: ), I took some “spacers†from Lowes that are used to put under electronics to let air flow, cut them down some with a razor knife(not pretty I know) and glued them on there for a temp fix. It’s not perfect, but I couldn’t have my favorite bait on the sidelines. I will add some pics of my not so handy work tomorrow if I get a chance.

The tail is also glued on, just as the negotiators, tricks, etc are. After about 30-35 hours of use, I was checking the bait and noticed the tail was loose. Took some industrial strength locktite and glued it back in there with no more problems. Might not be a bad idea to keep glue, extra silencers, and an extra tail with you if you really plan on fishing this bait a ton like I do.

Back to the action being affected, the Mother seems to get “out of tune†pretty easily at times. I’m not real sure what causes it, but it does happen. Some people it might frustrate, but I work through it and it seems to find itself back in tune pretty quickly. You can be reeling it and it’s running as straight as a brand new mother will, then it will start leaning to one direction or the other. What I mean when I say leaning is that it will glide further to one side than the other and not want to turn back to the other side. Easy fix: don’t just reel it, twitch it with your rod tip to get it running how you want. It’s odd though, it will run a little funky for a few times, then it will run perfect 100 times. It has done this to me a lot, on both my well used regular bottom hook and my newer custom top hook. The joint isn’t catching or anything like that, it just seems to get out of tune for a moment, then back to running normal. It doesn’t seem to bother the fish, I have had them come after it when it was running funky and even had a solid 6-7lber smack at it while I was quickly reeling it in to see what the deal was :lol:

Action: The gliding versions of the Mother have a much wider glide than a Deps 250. Instead of the sharp nose turns that a 250 does, the Mother turns much slower and gets a lot more distance on each glide, especially if you have slack in your line and let it get it’s max distance. I think that because of the wider, slower turning glides, plus a much slower sink rate than the average Deps 250, the Mother is a much better producer in colder water. I will definitely be comparing these baits as the water temp gets warmer. So far, I’ve had a ton more action on the Mother than I have the Deps, but then again, I have yet to throw the Deps in water above 58 degrees.

The action of this bait is almost eerie when it’s in the water. I’m not sure what the ROF is exactly on this bait, but I know it’s SLOW, like it hoovers type of slow!! If I had to guess, I would say maybe a ROF 1, 2 max? Don’t take that as gospel though, I’m not a real good judge on the ROFs :lol:

Field Observations: I really feel that most of the fish are letting their guard down when they see this bait because in my area they have probably never seen such a big bait. The splash when this bait hits the water is as large and loud as you would expect, but the fish still seem to be attracted to it. On my very first cast with this bait, I had two fish in the 5-7(maybe bigger?) range follow it from under a dock all the way to my boat. Instead of swimming away when they seen me, they hung around checking the bait out. I started a figure 8 and before I could even truly get it started, the bigger bass smacked the middle of the bait(no hook coverage), backed off, and did it again! That was all in 43 degree water and I went on to have fish after fish follow the bait and smack at it, most half heartedly. I did end up boating one though, a 3lber that was a follow up to a possible DD biting at the rear of the bait.

PicsArt_1365833800797_zpsbb10f4a6.jpg

Another odd thing that I have yet to see in any another bait is the ability to draw fish back to it after they follow to the boat. On several occasions I have been able to draw a fish out 2 times…3 times….even up to 7+ times from the same area. Some have been in consecutive casts, other times I have picked up a different rod and threw a Deps 250, 8†FS, Hudd, Baitsmith, or whatever else I’ve had rigged up and not even get a look. Pick the Mother back up and get the same fish to follow once again, even on occasion getting that fish to bite, although it has mostly been a half-hearted smack at the bait.

On one recent occasion, I had 3-4 good fish come after the Mother and smack at it, no hook up. Casted back and they followed it again and I watched as they swam towards a tree laydown. Threw the Mother in the back of the tree and as I was pulling it out(not expecting a bite!!) and over a tree limb, I had a 6-8 roll on it like a spinnerbait bite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2By_CNbYpbU

Another thing I have noticed is that this large mammoth of a fishing lure attracts all sizes. I’ve had fish smaller than the Mother swim right behind it or beside it, just checking it out. It mainly attracts larger bass, but those little guys will follow it as well. Here’s the smallest I have caught with the Mother so far, 3.14lb Largemouth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0fgdiXJv6I

Differences between the 3 configs: I believe the regular bottom hook Mother is the one to go with if you are buying your first one. I’m sure the Custom top hook and Triple have their places, but the normal one has been my work horse and favorite of the three. I haven’t put enough time into either one to give you a proper review, but so far this is what I have. The Custom top hook swims exactly like the regular Mother. It has the custom harness with two single hooks sitting in a channel on top of the bait. After putting in about 2-3 hours with the bait, I noticed that you have to constantly check the harness to make sure it’s seated properly…I’m sure that whole 10.5 ounces of bait hitting the water every cast has something to do with that!! I haven’t tried swimming it on the bottom, to be honest my balls are not that big and even though I have about half of the price tag in it, I’m not wanting to lose it…maybe my balls will grow bigger by the end of the year :D

ïŠ

The Triple has 2 joints and with silencers on each side(4 silencers total). By looking at it, you would think it would almost have a triple trout action to it, but it does not. It does have a searching action that you can control by throwing in a twitch on the reel, but the back section is a lot looser than you would think and it just kinda flaps around in the back(to my naked eye obviously!). It definitely seems more like a finesse type swimmer, but don’t have enough time into it do it justice, stay tuned on that ;)

Overall: The price tag on the Mother will keep a lot of people from buying it and rightfully so, $400 is not easy to drop on a bait. I took the leap and tried it out and couldn’t be happier that I did. It has the ability to draw fish out of cover more so than any other bait that I have had the pleasure of throwing. I know for a fact that on multiple occasions, the Mother has gotten fish to show themselves when they would not of done so for any other bait that I have at my disposal.

I don’t believe in a miracle bait by no means, but for me, this is my favorite of all so far. When I’m slinging this bait, I truly feel like I am hunting the biggest, baddest bass in the water. Maybe it’s all just in my head, but it gives me the impression that if there happens to be a teener in the water that I’m fishing, she might just let her guard down long enough for me to see her and possibly get her when I’m throwing the Mother…..and hey, isn’t trophy bass fishing mostly all about the amount of confidence you have in a bait? :D

And as with all reviews, this one is not complete but I thought I had enough to share with everyone what I have learned so far. I have thrown this bait a ton since I got it in February and plan on throwing it as much as possible this year. Stay tuned, I have a feeling my first DD just might be around the corner....looking for a Mother 8-)

Thanks everyone for the kind words :D

Now, what we have here is called a review. ;)

That's what I'm talking 'bout!

Thanks Wayne :D Plenty of other GREAT reviews on this forum as well to use as a guideline when writing a review. Last year guys were putting their heart and soul into writing reviews....even on glue :lol:

Got very few musky and pike here, yet to run into one so far. Did catch a chain pickeral on it the same day I got the 8-6, I have the video on my computer, but it's down right now. If I can get it back up, I will try and get the video posted. Nothing special, maybe a 3-4lb pickadilly :lol: I've never caught a musky or northern pike on a swimbait, but I'm pretty sure that a small chain pickeral doesn't even compare :lol:

As promised, here's an up-close pic of my not so handy work to help stop the chipping and wood on wood contact. I didn't really shave them down before I put them on there, so I had to just pick at it with a razor knife(dull as hell too :lol: ) until I got the bait leaning even on that side. I think it made it a little heavy on that side, but not too bad of an effect on the action. These will be removed and a real silencer added shortly :mrgreen:

To add these to a negotiator, I think all you would really have to do is just make it REALLY REALLY thin and glue it on there. The negotiator has a much tighter action than the mother so to keep that action the added silencer would have to be extra thin. There's probably a better way to do it, so please someone post up some pics if you do it :D

BTW...I don't really fish my baits, I just sit around and pick at them with a knife to give them wicked hook rash :lol::lol::lol: