PSA for Dep 250 Slide Swimmer

flaswimbaiter

for me, regardless of price or who makes the bait - the first rule out of the box is to change out the rings and hooks.

i assume this is not the case for everyone?

I didnt with the Slides and a bunch of other baits for fear of changing the intended action. If they look like decent hardware or I have paid a good bit for the bait, I usually let it alone assuming that they used quality material.

The same with me Wayne, the hardware looked sturdy and I was also worried about the action. I normally have to change out the hardware due to the other species I encounter.

Oh well lesson learned. :D

The same with me Wayne, the hardware looked sturdy and I was also worried about the action. I normally have to change out the hardware due to the other species I encounter.

Oh well lesson learned. :D

i too assumed that, however that is usually the parts where bait maker economize. i too bent out a few fish on oem parts, and vowed to myself never to make that mistake again.

unless i get word from the bait makers mouth, they get swapped out.

I didnt with the Slides and a bunch of other baits for fear of changing the intended action. If they look like decent hardware or I have paid a good bit for the bait, I usually let it alone assuming that they used quality material.

i guess what you can do then, is test with oem parts. learn the bait (hopefully without losing fish), and then upgrade the parts to 'proper' standards.

that is what i have done with many baits of mine.

* note: i have lost many fish due to 'human error'. that error being the lack of upgraded hooks or rings, or the lack of retying. now that i have removed those possible points of failure, it has drastically increased my ratio to landed fish.

Please share with us ur technique to how to land more fish

Bowfin, or mudfish, are no joke. I wish there were more around here cause id target them. That being said, the slide swimmers are cool baits but so overpriced! They are marked up more than a pair of Nikes.

Please share with us ur technique to how to land more fish

its not really a way to catch more fish, but merely steps i use to reduce failure points. this in turn leads to converting hookups to landed fish.

way back in the day i lost many fish due to (what i consider) improper setup. i have it down to a science, where i require certain baits to weigh specific amounts so that i can control the lure at a given depth during a long retrieve. a digital scale has become my new best friend. i weigh each and every piece i put onto a lure.

what i can suggest is to never consider a lure out of the box as fully functional. there are many different ways to get a lure, or different lures to turn your tricks. your line and hooks (with rings) are the easiest to toy with, as they can be changed without modification of the lure. these 2 attributes (though minor) can drastically change the way a lure swims and ability to hold its depth throughout the entire retrieve. you would be very surprised on the performance of lure when changing these things.

it never hurts to try something new! if you stick with the same applications, you will continue to achieve similar results.

...live outside the box.

Not only did I lost one of my eyes, today while fighting a 5-6 pound bowfin, this (see pic) happened to my hook and splitring. I guess I am lucky that this was not a big bass and only a mudfish. I switched out the hooks from my 8†FS trout and it really didn’t affect the action, I actually caught two fish after the change out.

I am little disappointed that a bait of this price is so easily damage. But on the flip side, I am catching the crap out of fish on it, unfortunately, they have all been small.

Any advice to get the big followers to bite?

hey its louie from chicago again.

can you please send me a pic of the bottom of the lure? i would like to see if it tweaked the hook harness.

OK, so I've got a question for yall.

If I want a 250ss that is around a rof 3, could i just change the hooks to st-36's and the split rings to 37# hyperwires? would that weight difference do it?

too broke to get it tuned and realy don't want to go throught the trouble either...

No. It usually takes a lot more weight to change it that much. Stock I'd say it's around a rof 8-9.

Really? Mine is like a ROF 4 or 5. :?:

I'm with you. I have a BB 250 untuned with st 36's and its about a rof 5. Interesting that they may vary.

Same here. Ive owned 3 deps so far and it seems like each one sunk slightly slower or faster between each one.