Fixing a broken rod

scrapper

The first day out actually throwing swimbaits (due to the upper Midwest's prolonged winter :x ) I broke my handle in two on the second cast. It was My own fault. When I made this rod my friend had put a handle on it but it wasn't long enough. So I boiled the rear grip off and put on a longer one. To fill the empty space I put in a small piece of rod blank and a generous amount of epoxy. well that didn't work... So back to the Drawing board. The old Handle still wasn't long enough and I had enough materials to make a split grip. With a longer piece of blank and a wooden dowel for reinforcement. I give you swimbait rod 2.0

Before

post-1813-14252988490724_thumb.jpg

After

post-1813-14252988491514_thumb.jpg

The piece of blank shouldn't have snapped. Now long is your extension? It looks pretty thin in the second pic. You might want to find a thicker blank to use as an extension piece.

I forgot to say that it snapped were the original blank and the small piece met. There was a space in between them. In the New handle the dowel and the blank piece extend to right below the reel.