Photo editing

Zillion

What software do you guys use to blur out backgrounds and such. I'm not too worried about where I fish most of the ponds I fish are small bog ponds and take some effort to locate and a good 4x4 to reach. There are a couple however that are ponds that were shared with me that I will not give up to anyone. I can always snap a pic on the bottom of the boat but in the heat of the moment some pics I have could show too much. Spot burning topics seem to be coming up a lot lately, so I thought I'd ask.

It is really easy to blur within photobucket.

do you use the blur feature? Im having trouble making it blurry enough to not see the background..

I don't remember exactly what I did, but a combination of cropping the photos and blurs or the swirl feature has done enough for me.

Try taking your next photo from an angle that is not so revealing as well.

Microsoft Paint, easy to use and is included with all Microsoft Operating systems.

start>run>mspaint

If you also use the paint "spray" in Edit in large size and change colors to match the back it's not so rough looking sometimes. Here is one Blur plus paint. I used 3 colors Gray,white and a green to distort the land line. Somtimes I don't think "blur" is enough ;) But I have trust issues these days.

post-483-14252988503219_thumb.jpg

I'd say it depends on how paranoid you are. I'm very paranoid, having seen some of my favorite Colorado spots get hot-spotted to the point where you could skip a swimbait across the float tubes from one side to the other and not touch water.

So, if you're paranoid, you can use a variety of filters in Photoshop, such as blur, swirl, or, if you don't mind getting hate mail from people on the boards, just use the magnetic lasso tool to excise all of the background that might give information away. Other tricks I've used include taking pictures with non-descript backgrounds (a wall of tules or cattails is a good one) and taking pictures where the background is the deck of a boat (no skyline to be seen).

If you're really paranoid (I've got my foil hat on right now), then make sure that if you're taking pics with a smartphone, the phone is not automatically including GPS coordinates in the metadata, :shock: because sometimes they default to that. Someone with a bit of time on their hands (about 1 minute per pic) can get into the metadata and find out where the spot is.