Blues on punker

flaswimbaiter

Sick. Do blues have sharp teeth, or am I thinking of another fish?

Lots of little sharp teeth. Yellow eyed devils. And they fight like crazy and don't quit.

Thanks for the info!

Sick. Do blues have sharp teeth, or am I thinking of another fish?

Think intermeshing razors and you've got a bluefish's dentition.

Even the little 2 - 3" models have set of teeth that will slice and dice - when I lived in bluefish country, we'd use 6 - 10" blues as livebait. It was really common for their compatriots (also 6" - 10" long) to attack them and take all of these neat little bites out of their former friends. If a bigger bluefish attacked and missed the hook, you'd get these neatly-severed heads and tails on your hook.

Ive always wanted to throw swimbaits in the salt Mr Dave, but just cant muster up enough confidence to get out there and do it..I just need a little hindsight and opinion from THE guy. If you can help that would be awesome. Like from a boat, wading in the surf..? what size baits you running and all of that. I will be fishing the Galveston area.

Ive always wanted to throw swimbaits in the salt Mr Dave, but just cant muster up enough confidence to get out there and do it..I just need a little hindsight and opinion from THE guy. If you can help that would be awesome. Like from a boat, wading in the surf..? what size baits you running and all of that. I will be fishing the Galveston area.

In Texas you have huge aggressive trout and reds, the 6" injected punkers would work well there. I suggest injected due to the rattle, I understood your water is similar to ours and can get cloudy.

Because of their smaller mouths and the size of their main forage (sardines, mullet) I use 5-6" baits such as the MC shad, 3:16 trout, S-Waver, Dep & Gan Craft glides, etc., but I have also caught some good fish on my Wake JR. and HH.

If you want to start small try H2O swimbaits and the 3:16 minnow with a belly weighted hook.

I have not used the Spro 6" trout, but it looks very similar to a mullet. I spoke to a guy here locally that uses the larger version for snook and big spring trout.

Nothing beats time on the water and confidence. Get out there and chuck what you got.

Here are a few saltwater swimbait fish

post-91-14252989087808_thumb.jpg

post-91-1425298908806_thumb.jpg

post-91-14252989088383_thumb.jpg

post-91-14252989088679_thumb.jpg

post-91-14252989088949_thumb.jpg

I rinse all my bait thoroughly then blow out the joints (with my mouth) to remove any excess water. Then I take a small drop of vegetable oil between my fingers and coat the hook where it meets the spit ring or any other area that has rust. I use a very thin coat, it will leave some residue, but its better than rust.

I rinse all my bait thoroughly then blow out the joints (with my mouth) to remove any excess water. Then I take a small drop of vegetable oil between my fingers and coat the hook where it meets the spit ring or any other area that has rust. I use a very thin coat, it will leave some residue, but its better than rust.

Great tip!