Small swimbait bite

Jut

I'd have a pic of another big one from last weekend but due to some "issues" I had, it swam away without a weight or a pic. Toilet bowl flush strike on the rat bait.

Let's just say it was as big as the couple posted from last month. :evil:

All good though. ;)

I'd have a pic of another big one from last weekend but due to some "issues" I had, it swam away without a weight or a pic. Toilet bowl flush strike on the rat bait.

Let's just say it was as big as the couple posted from last month. :evil:

All good though. ;)

Ive been having some of those same issues. I think its time I get a damn net.

It was me being a forgetful dumbass.

I left the rear battery in the garage when I left for the lake. It powers the rear electric motor, my electronics and the livewell.

Well, I got this fish to the boat and since I didnt have a livewell I used a stringer clip thinking it would allow the fish to sit in the water while I got the scale and everything out. I also put a second clip on the fish as extra precaution. When I let go of the second clip, it immediately snapped open. Next thing I know, this girl is shaking her head twice and pulling loose from the second clip. She hovered next to the boat for a second, flipped me the finger and slowly went back where she came from.

Big fish. That's all I know.

Its been super slow for me also. Havent gotten a bite in over a month. What happens after they spawn? Do they not eat anymore and recover first? I know the post spawn will be good but I remember reading bill Murphy's book and he mentioned that theres a time after spawning they will not eat at all for about a week. Seems to be longer than that right now.
They actually still do eat but think about it. After the bass are done spawning, the bream start bedding. Post spawn bass target smaller baitfish because its in abundance at this time. So that's why other people have been catching them on smaller swimbaits. A black dock shellcracker is an amazing bait for this period in the season. This is for my waters so I don't know about yours, but they are generally the same I would think.

Post spawn changes from year to year here. Many times small fish are being caught on small baits because they are fry protecting males. This year on my water post spawn came with wind and muddy water. The mud doesnt help the gills bed and the gill bite accounts for alot of big fish post spawn. Same for a wakebait, but the water color hasnt helped that bite either. Im getting my good bites now in traditional summer spots and these fish are past the post spawn period. Our water temps varied greatly during the spawn and i think there was some periods where the fish backed off and waited, so im seeing gaps in what phase the fish are in.

I guess what all that jargon means is for me this time of year the bite has always been fragile and easily influenced by past and present weather. Small fish are usually the aggressive males protecting fry so they are more abundant and using a smaller swimbait allows us to target them easier. I just went with it this year because I know how it is trying to grind out a big bite post spawn in dirty water :evil: No bueno. I chickened out and i switched to fish that were eating :lol::lol: