Having Some Problems

scrapper

I just started throwing swimbaits this year. I have put about 30+ hours into my small collection of 2 huddleston 6" baby bass and 2 Mattlures smallmouth tournament series. So far I have been skunked on every trip throwing them. So I'm turning to you guys. any advice is appreciated and will be taken with gratitude.

What state do you fish? No need to use lake names. You have weeds? What is the bottom like? Small pondsor big lakes? Is trout stocked? What is the other forage? Does you water level stay stable are you fishing bank or boat?? How are you casting and working it? Are you fishing them full time? Im sure I have many more... do you have topo maps of any kind?

I fish in northwestern Wisconsin. There are alot of weeds. Lakes are medium/small with mostly muck/sand bottoms maybe a few gravel patches here and there. No trout stocking but lots of largemouth, muskies, and walleye stocking. The water level is somewhat unstable but not much +-2ft max. As the year progresses mostly boat but so far all bank except one time. I have been trying to keep the hudds slow as possible rolling along the bottom. I have taken time off of throwing swimbaits to fish jigs and worms. I have DNR maps and I have Navionics on my iPod. hopefully that answers all the questions.

Id try and throw a floating hardbait into the mix. A hardgill would probably be hard to beat as would a smaller rat bait :twisted: those work everywhere! good luck, keep at it, try burning those 6" hudds too, sometimes they like em 100mph :lol:

Last summer I was having a hard time getting bites on the swimbait and since then I realized that I may have been working my baits too slow. Lately the bite seems to be on a bit better for me and I have been working the baits a little quicker. I know there are guys that will say that its impossible to go too slow but theyre just wrong! :lol: I would try speeding up the retrieves a little bit, not fast, but steady while still feeling the bottom most of the time. Theres a time and place for super slow but I think at certain times and in certain places the bait just needs to move a little more.

Other than that all I can say is just keep at it and watch Matt Allen's Tactical Bassin' videos on Youtube. Theyre good videos that will get you headed in the right direction. At least I feel they helped me. :D

"Never give up!!"-Mike Iaconelli

I fish all over MN and i am assuming the lakes are similar over there. In the spring i use hudds and gills some but mostly stick to the hard baits. I use everything up to 10'' Freestyle trout, mostly stick with the 6" and 8" baits (for bass anyways). For you i would use the hudds, they have been good to me when the bite is slow. I usually try to find some bullrushes or reeds with deeper water close by and fish them parrallel to the reeds. fish them slow to medium and about halfway up the water column, granted the water column isn't very deep normally next to the reeds. either that or try some rocks. They might be post spawn now but who knows i haven't been out fishing for a month because of work. If they are post spawn it might be tough to catch them and also considering the crazy weather that we have been having that could have something to do with it. Alot of swimbait fishing around here is putting time in to find the fish and once you find them they are usually willing to bite

Learning to put my bait in ambush spots was one of the biggest keys for me in triggering strikes. As was said before, put the bait against weed lines, down trees, bank edges, even wake it. Just give the bass something to pin the bait against.

I'm in South central Wi and the weather is phucked this year.

X2 on that. If the weather ever straightens out it will pick up. The water temps last week for a tourney my friend fished were 49-53 degrees couple that with the weather we have been having and the water levels being all jacked up makes for some tough fishing for sure. I will let you know how it is next week ;)

thanks guys. I have plans to fishing tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. Weather has been really weird so Ill blame it on that :lol:

Get a hold of some 3:16 minnows and 6.5" Rising Sons, oh and some 6/0 Owner Beast Hooks for the minnows. These baits are just great for catching fish. Good luck bro.

I didn't get completely skunked. due to work I had to do my first night mission and had 3 bites and one fish on that came off when it jumped :x It easily felt like the biggest bass I have ever had on. well atlest now I some confidance that there are bass is the lake :lol:

are you using braid?

im in chicago. been sticking fish since feb. lately ive been using alot of 8-10inch baits. i do well on gill type baits. since moving from the west coast, im still hooked on trout type baits.

as mentioned in another thread - matching the hatch for your particular bodies of waters will give more of an advantage.