XXH and the big glides

Ceaser

So I have notice alot of guys who are successful at putting big fish in the boat on the 250 and other big glide baits are throwing it on a XXH. I have had some big fish jump me off near the boat on big glides but I am throwing mine on a XH. I mean its kind of a problem! :lol: I thought that maybe even a lighter rod or deeper bend would help the fish stay buttoned up but apparently the guys who ACTUALLY put big fish in the boat with these baits went the other way and grabbed the XXH. Can someone maybe clue me in on their experince a little here? please :D

You should message Sean. He's used a couple of different LDC rods for his SS 250 and could probably give you some good info. I do know that he's gradually moved to heavier rods over the past year.

From what I've experienced the hook up and landing ratio on the Deps is a little low. Fish seem to hit is funny and don't always stick. I've fished them on the XH, XXH custom and XXH parabolic. IMO The XXH parabolic is the best rod for that bait

IMO The XXH parabolic is the best rod for that bait

Gotta lot more fishing to do, but so far I am coming to this conclusion as well. The XXH parabolic is amazing for both the Deps 250 and Mother. Not sure about hooking up and landing them yet, but it handles the bait perfectly :D

I threw the Deps on the XH prod, XH custom, and Dobyns 867. I prefer the stouter rods for casting, but can understand why guys prefer the parabolic once the fish is stuck. I agree that the bait has a lower hookup ratio, but it seems like most of the 10" baits do. Even when it's T boned and the hooks are on both sides of the mouth, things seem to go wrong easily.

I throw the heavy sink and slow sink DEPS 250 on the XXH, And the slow sink 250 on the XH maybe 10 percent of the time.

Most of my bites the fish swim up and mouth it, I usually drop the rod tip and let them swim off for a sec like a senko. They had very few freight trainers. If I lose a fish it's usually in the first few cranks

Just a thought but do you hold your rod tip up or down when fighting a fish? I know I try to keep it down (superstitions I guess) butt it seems the fish doesnt want to come up out of the water as much when fighting them that way. I have a friend that fishes the 250 on a prod xh and does fine. I just think of crankbait or rattle trap fishing. For some reason it seems a fish can throw a trap in one jump but stay stuck on a jerkbait no matter what. I guess I usually try to keep the rod tip down if I am in open water. Weeds is a different story. Guess it was just a thought. Might help might not

Jeremy

cool lots of good info. My fish come up 75% of the time. Most fish are caught in less than 10 ft... wait, thats a lie, less than 8 ft(even thats deep :lol: ) and there is weeds, wood, tules, hyacynth, ect. ect. :lol::lol: I land fish on 10"+ baits without problems usually, it just seems like the glide fish are face hooked and usually give me the shake on the first jump. Other big baits I dont have this issue, i am a grinder and dont give an inch. Maybe the XXH rod will give me better hook penetration through the bony parts on the face and gill plates. Anyways, alot of good info here, thanks fellas. Now... the XXH Parabolic quest begins!

I've been throwing the 250 on 3 different rods. The production XH, custom XH, and custom XXH. Haven't tried the parabolic XXH. I like the XXH a whole lot more than the other two. A lot of my fish are hooked in the face. It's like they grab the bait at the joint and have trebles outside the mouth on both sides. That XXH has helped get a hook into them, but I still have my fair share of fish pull off. Got to get a hook in them in the first place before I lose 'em, right?

Almost every fish I've had on that bait has crushed it. Totally opposite of what Alan is seeing, which is weird because we're fishing the same lake at least half the time.

I'm with London Mitch, I have fished the bait on a custom XH, Custom XXH 8.6 and the parabolic XXH

The parabolic was made for the Deps hands down. This rod loads up so well with the deps and helps keep the fish pinned, It just feels perfect.

The parabolic XXH is a must have for the big hard baits in my option.

I'm with London Mitch, I have fished the bait on a custom XH, Custom XXH 8.6 and the parabolic XXH

The parabolic was made for the Deps hands down. This rod loads up so well with the deps and helps keep the fish pinned, It just feels perfect.

The parabolic XXH is a must have for the big hard baits in my option.

sounds like a bad a$$ stick. Hopefully I get to put one to use soon!

The Old school Custom XH can handle it just fine, the xxh (new) custom handles it fine (more backbone and a little heavier).

I have an XXH Parabolic coming so i'll let you know.

I dont button my drag when fishing the xxh custom.