What % of your time on the water is spent swimbaiting???

evilcatfish

Hey guys, just curious, when it comes to your time spent fishing, how much of it is spent throwing swimbaits? Personally, I think I'm at around 50% with the remainder of the time throwing spinners, soft plastics, cranks, etc. I hope to throw swimbaits more and more but doubt I'll ever get away from more conventional lures completely.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I frog and flip only when those are the two that will put the biggest fish into the boat. Even then, flippin and punchin still take a back seat the last few years. I have 3 conventional rods all flippin sticks, now im up to 8 or 9 swimbait rods and im throwing swimmers 95% o the time now, even in tourneys. I think im Past the point of no return! Lmao!

95% of time for me, can't stay away from FnF in January. However, that might change this year ;) Still need those days where you just go out and catch a ton: crickets for bluegill, senko right after spawn, etc to just have fun and feel a fish :D

I was interested in swimbait fishing for about the last 4 or 5 years but only threw them about 1% of the time. Only had a handful of fish to show for it over that several year span and therefore didn't have much confidence throwing swimbaits.

This year I decided to commit to throwing swimbaits full time and since then I have caught more fish on them then in my previous five years and I have the confidence to stick with it. I still take all my other rods with me every time I fish, but so far this year all they've done is sit there.

I'm glad I made the switch, I've caught some good fish and had a lot of fun learning more about fishing swimbaits. I have to thank SU, it helped me to learn more and to stick with it.

I use swimbaits not as a lifestyle, but more as a tool in the box. I will say that you will be hard pressed to find me throwing a bait under 4 inches... at all. Mostly I am a frog, swimbait, wakebait, or just anything thats bigger than normal. I would say 50% swimbait, 20% frog, and 30% several other bigger but not "swimbait" big baits.

100% made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back

+1

Echoedd converted me years ago after a shady trade deal in a Mcdonald's parking lot...

Haven't been the same ever since :lol:

Geoff

Muskie fishing about 95% of the time. The other 5% is fishing baits like Cowgirls (monster inline spinners) and also the occasional bulldawg.

Bass fishing is prob 90%. I throw the occasional jerkbait, jig, and other random stuff sometimes but even 90% might be a little low. Most of my bass rods haven't seen the light for the last year or so unless it's a spinning rod for walleyes. and my swimbait rods don't fit in the rod lockers so they end up looking like hot chick on the beach that has fake and baked all winter long.

overall I bet I swimbait fish 80-85% of the time. Including bass, walleye, muskie, lake trout etc. I have even started to troll lakers with swimmers.. haven't got any on them yet but it will come I have faith!!

100% made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back

+1

Echoedd converted me years ago after a shady trade deal in a Mcdonald's parking lot...

Haven't been the same ever since :lol:

Geoff

:lol::lol: underground style!

I throw swimbaits at least 90% of the time. The only time I do not thrown them is when my grandson fishes with me but he is starting to get the bug. He is only 8 y/o but caught a 8.5# LMB on a Hudd 68.

Am having him a custom spinning swimbait rod made as he still has troubles with a baitcaster.

I think it will not be long before we will be fishing swimbaits 100% of the time.

When it's not winter (ice-fishing time), I probably throw swimbaits 85% of the time. The breakdown is likely something like this.

Early spring: 85% swimbait, 10% float 'n' fly, 5% jerkbait

Spring - early summer: 100% swimbait

Summer - mid-fall: 75% swimbait, 25% frog

mid-fall to ice-up: 90% swimbait, 10% FnF

I've got the bug bad, and likely would through swimbaits all the time if frog fishing and FnF fishing weren't so much darned fun!