phoney frog baits

gary m

I recently purchased a phoney heavyweight gill  wake from drop  it came missing lower fin I contacted them about it said he would ship out on monday  the 7th of feb still havent received it it had line tied on when I got bait figured was test swam but since I never got fin I decided to test swim bait it swims completely on its side I emailed him about this and still no response from him I dont think lower fin would cause that I just wanted to send back to be tuned but he wont reply to me anymore has this guy ripped anyone else off or am I jumping the gun on wait time not happy about a 190 dollar paperweight will video it swimming and post I did pay through paypal credit can I file a claim against him never been burned from a baitmaker ever before any response woul be appreciated

They will not respond to emails…he told me as much last time I had to contact him about an issue.  Why they have that as an option is beyond me.  Try social media or calling.  They have this Google voicemail service.  Hopefully you get this resolved…

In the past I avoided phoney drops due to past stories like yours with other customers and a reputation for terrible customer service.  But .. on the last drop I went for that natural shiner phoney shad for two reasons.  One reason being it looked really beautiful in pics and matched perfectly shiners I have caught in local waters.  Match the hatch for sure.  Second, the story was that these were from that cancelled Raleigh trade show so just shipping to me should be a simple matter.  I figured this was low risk, if the story was correct.  

well I did get the bait, it did take a few weeks.   I did get responses from his wife over IG when I had questions.   All around turned out acceptable but definitely not stellar customer service. 

Now for the bait.  The realism and workmanship is exceptional.   Really.  Possibly the best of my collection and I certainly bought a lot of expensive and even over-hyped and more expensive baits over the winter.  Seeing in person is quite a customer-delighter imo.  Of course im happy about that.  Realism.  Workmanship.  Swivel hangers.  Amazing paint.  

An odd detail is that the top dorsal fin (thread fin) is not attached and was supplied in a small bag.  I don’t see a great way/position to secure it.  But im not worried and likely won’t use the fin anyway.  Anybody know how?  Was going to reach out to phoney but just figured that would be too much hassle (the poor customer service issues). 

overall I am super psyched to have this bait because of how amazing it looks.  And the phoney shad being a long time proven bait of his im expecting acceptable performance.  

Would love to have more but likely wouldn’t pull the trigger again.  

475735F7-4AE9-40FC-B66C-B83D6C5950B8.jpeg

5 hours ago, CAS said:

In the past I avoided phoney drops due to past stories like yours with other customers and a reputation for terrible customer service.  But .. on the last drop I went for that natural shiner phoney shad for two reasons.  One reason being it looked really beautiful in pics and matched perfectly shiners I have caught in local waters.  Match the hatch for sure.  Second, the story was that these were from that cancelled Raleigh trade show so just shipping to me should be a simple matter.  I figured this was low risk, if the story was correct.  

well I did get the bait, it did take a few weeks.   I did get responses from his wife over IG when I had questions.   All around turned out acceptable but definitely not stellar customer service. 

Now for the bait.  The realism and workmanship is exceptional.   Really.  Possibly the best of my collection and I certainly bought a lot of expensive and even over-hyped and more expensive baits over the winter.  Seeing in person is quite a customer-delighter imo.  Of course im happy about that.  Realism.  Workmanship.  Swivel hangers.  Amazing paint.  

An odd detail is that the top dorsal fin (thread fin) is not attached and was supplied in a small bag.  I don’t see a great way/position to secure it.  But im not worried and likely won’t use the fin anyway.  Anybody know how?  Was going to reach out to phoney but just figured that would be too much hassle (the poor customer service issues). 

overall I am super psyched to have this bait because of how amazing it looks.  And the phoney shad being a long time proven bait of his im expecting acceptable performance.  

Would love to have more but likely wouldn’t pull the trigger again.  

475735F7-4AE9-40FC-B66C-B83D6C5950B8.jpeg

I believe you need to pull the pin, trim it, them the fin can fit in and be glued. I would make sure it is tuned well first. You can probably get the pin out after trimming it, but it will be much harder.

45 minutes ago, pschueller said:

I believe you need to pull the pin, trim it, them the fin can fit in and be glued. I would make sure it is tuned well first. You can probably get the pin out after trimming it, but it will be much harder.

This is correct.  Make sure it swims like you like, pull the pin and cut it down.  Reinsert the now shorter pin and glue in the fin.