Trashy Bass Shad Glide

jkarol24

Swimbait Review: TrashyBass Shad Glide

Josh, the man behind Trashy Bass Swimbaits, has been continually building and refining his craft, and the new Shad Glide is one of his latest additions to the lineup. The Shad Glide a 8.25" in length, including a firm rubber tail, and weighs in at 2.9 ounces of resin. The bait is an XSS (95% are, there are a few SS version out there). The paint is also done in house, and swiveling hook hangers round out the feature set. 

Starting with the standard straight retrieve, the Shad Glide shows off a hard thumping style retrieve, as the head turns approx 45 degrees off center, and delivers feedback all the way to the rod. The bait stays extremely upright and balanced, and also maintains depth well. You can also add some pauses, and the bait will glide off to one side and hang out, due to its XSS sink rate. 

Sticking to straight retrieves, incorporating a burn shows off the baits stability, as it handles speed with no issues. Again, the bait stays upright and maintains depth well, while continuing that same thumping retrieve, albeit slightly tighter. On the opposite end, I also crawled the bait along. I found that the bait continued to swim back and forth at even the slowest speeds, and also picked up a little distance and widened the swim. 

Now for the fun part! I started off with slow and easy reel bumps, and tried to get max distance out of the glides. I noticed that the bait turns very sharply on the transitions, which normally lends itself to a tighter Glide. However, after that tight turn, the bait straightens out very quickly, carries its speed from the transition, and glides approx 2 body lengths in either direction. As with the straight retrieves, I noticed that the bait maintained its upright position, and also stayed horizontal in the water column throughout the glide. 

Getting slightly more aggressive, I then utilized some reel chops (short and firm reel inputs). The Shad Glide turned faster and sharper than before, with slightly less Glide distance. However, if you chop on the reel and then throw a little slack, you can also get the bait to shoot close to the same distance as the slower deliberate inputs. The bait picks up a little more flash, but again without any noticeable body or axis roll. 

Next, we utilized rod tip inputs to acheive the most aggressive style retrieve. The rod tip snaps were downward, fast, and short, and the bait essentially turns on itself. It's as if the bait goes from transition to transition, without the glide in the middle. On this input the bait doesn't straighten out, and instead just turns in place, while giving some flash. 

Last, I gave a mixed sort of retrieve, combining reel chops and rod tip bumps, along with short pauses. The bait followed my inputs well, and alternated between the various inputs without skipping a beat. 

I threw the TrashyBass on a KGB Heavy, paired with a Curado 300E and 20 lb copoly. I'd imagine the bait will also fish similar using fluro or mono (maybe slightly less aggressive on mono), and more aggressive with less Glide distance if you choose braided line. 

Hope you enjoyed Today's Review. I will be traveling next weekend, so I believe I will post up the next review sometime next week! Enjoy the weekend, spend time with family, and get out there and stick a big one! 

I think you can only get one through Instagram. Random posts then be the first one to say SOLD on the post. I’m bitter because I’ve never been able to get one so I had to not follow and go elsewhere. Killer looking bait though. I wish there was another way to release baits. 

On 5/15/2022 at 12:55 AM, Dink whisperer said:

Where can you get one of these and how much do they run? 

Mostly drops on IG. They aren't pricey, like $100 ish if you can get em at retail. But they sell instantly. This builder doesn't pump out alot of baits, just doesn't have the time. Second hand, these will bring 200++ unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, jkarol24 said:

Mostly drops on IG. They aren't pricey, like $100 ish if you can get em at retail. But they sell instantly. This builder doesn't pump out alot of baits, just doesn't have the time. Second hand, these will bring 200++ unfortunately.

Man at $100 I'd buy 2! I wouldn't ever pay crazy markups for any bait though.

On 5/15/2022 at 1:03 AM, bassfiend72 said:

I think you can only get one through Instagram. Random posts then be the first one to say SOLD on the post. I’m bitter because I’ve never been able to get one so I had to not follow and go elsewhere. Killer looking bait though. I wish there was another way to release baits. 

Dont be bitter - keep trying. For less than $100 you wont find a better glide bait. And quite frankly, this stacks up with the ones that cost $200+. Fantastic bait, super stable, super easy to throw all day long, and you can do alot with it. Good luck