Moon phases

Loudsplashbassn_

Another variable is whether you’re actually night or day fishing. I usually catch my biggest fish of the month at night around full. But also catch big fish around new….but only during daylight hours. My best night fishing overall is writhing a few days either side of full. 

Full moon last night. Was up the entire night and down right when sun came up. No wind. High tide. I 100% thought I was going to have a good day fishing. 

This dink was the only thing I got today fishing from 5:00 AM until 1:00 PM. Btw all of you guys saying you have the worst luck during full moon, that was the very first things I was reading when I got up this morning. You all lowered my confidence substantially LOL, but yeah I can confirm full moon sucks  C31D6CA5-426D-4029-BCE5-1B2C4D9CB07A.thumb.jpeg.fc8e7ad54412cd61cbcb65a60f038de8.jpeg

Edited by Ravelthus

I go fishing when I can and try to keep note of catch times best I can.

I look at the moon phases AFTER fishing. Looking back at the notes and correlating moon phases to notable catches...it seems to be all over the place.

Have caught good fish when it was supposed to be ish, have zeroed on what should have been the best days.

PB was caught at between 7 and 8 AM the morning following a 100% full moon.

Interesting stuff for sure. Looking forward to lotsa night time ninja missions this summer.

2 hours ago, chefchris said:

new moon for the win, fresh or salt, 2-4 days on either side, so like a slid 8 days i try and get out as much as possible during those days 

full moon, only if i can get out before the moon rises or its incredibly cloudy/rainy 

if the full moons out i stay home, 

+1 with @chefchris 

My best night have been right before the new moon. 

My worst is all the full moon

Edited by Rogervang

8 minutes ago, Rogervang said:

+1 with @chefchris 

My best night have been right before the new moon. 

My worst is all the full moon

Yea was talking with a buddy last night & we think we had a solid night last year on a new moon but not 100 percent sure ...gonna try & get out later today bites been dead already so not hoping for much 

14 minutes ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

Yea was talking with a buddy last night & we think we had a solid night last year on a new moon but not 100 percent sure ...gonna try & get out later today bites been dead already so not hoping for much 

This is why I take pics of literally every fish that comes into the boat, you can check time and dates against moon phases against the time/date stamp on the pics, like an unintentional fishing log, bait usually in the pic as well 

5 hours ago, chefchris said:

This is why I take pics of literally every fish that comes into the boat, you can check time and dates against moon phases against the time/date stamp on the pics, like an unintentional fishing log, bait usually in the pic as well 

No longer have that phone as it took a crap on me but yes I normally do that as well .lol 

Went out tonight and boy was it a blast lol didn't get anything big since there all post spawn in this spot but boy was it on fire & a night for numbers .figured I hit the bite window as about 20 mins later it absolutely just went dead with no luck . Biggest fish went 3 ponds 

Just now, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

No longer have that phone as it took a crap on me but yes I normally do that as well .lol 

Went out tonight and boy was it a blast lol didn't get anything big since there all post spawn in this spot but boy was it on fire & a night for numbers .figured I hit the bite window as about 20 mins later it absolutely just went dead with no luck . Biggest fish went 3 ponds 

20220516_210214.jpg

Back in the (pre-smartphone) days when I used to fish a lot more, I kept track of every 4#+ fish (adult northern bass) I caught, and plotted them on a moonphase chart. I only fished (and still fish) a handful of reservoirs. On certain reservoirs, moon phase was everything. For the rest, it didn't matter; like at all. I do not fish at night though, the reservoirs around here close at dark. I also fish only structured highland reservoirs. Don't know anything about ponds/ rivers/ etc.

My "good" moon phases though don't match with Bill Murphy's ha! Probably because I fish faster and shallower. In fact, most big bass "experts" seem to agree that moon phases are important, but their good moon phases are at least slightly different (from each other).

Edited by maiti

I started a spreadsheet at the beginning of 2020 where I logged every catch that was 2+ pounds.  I logged time, date, location, weather, barometric pressure, moon phase, and bait used.  I then used color by similarity to try and piece together patterns…the only pattern that really stands out is barometric pressure.  I will say though…I’m a professional terrible fisherman…and all my 2+ fish are probably sheer luck! :-D

6 hours ago, BPayne said:

I started a spreadsheet at the beginning of 2020 where I logged every catch that was 2+ pounds.  I logged time, date, location, weather, barometric pressure, moon phase, and bait used.  I then used color by similarity to try and piece together patterns…the only pattern that really stands out is barometric pressure.  I will say though…I’m a professional terrible fisherman…and all my 2+ fish are probably sheer luck! :-D

Low pressure=better fishing?

7 hours ago, BPayne said:

I started a log but then got tired of just logging blanks so I just logged when I caught a fish on a trip lol