Frayed Line

nightsessions

For some reason my line keeps getting frayed down the whole spool while I'm fishing and I'm not sure what's causing it. Using Pline PF and it has happened on two diff reels with 20 and 25 lb test. Tried floating and slow sink baits and it still happens. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

This was happening to me about 2 weeks ago, I was running straight braid and it was making an odd noise, I checked everything out and it looked good, I just assumed it was my new heavier than usual lure. Then I was using a long CXX leader and it was fraying, I inspected everything again and there it was, barely noticeable on the top eyelet a small bur chipped into it that was only catching when my rod tip was really low. Look really closely at everything your line touches and even try rubbing the line around to listen for something catching it

Actually it could be any one of the guides.

Take a q-tip and rub the inside of each guide and the soft cotton should catch and show where there are any imperfections.

I just went through this same, very frustrating problem. Ended up replacing two guides total.

You changed the reels out, so that eliminated the level wind system. But still worth checking anyways. You're using braid, it has been know to wear grooves into line level winds and guides. So double check everything. PM me if you have any other questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a cracked rod tip to me as well. I had this happen on a Dobyns 807 last year. Kept hearing rough spots coming through the guides so I checked my line after it happened 3 casts in a row. My line was shredded for about 3 feet above my bait. I was one cast away from launching a 10 inch triple trout into the abyss :shock:

Sounds like a cracked rod tip to me as well. I had this happen on a Dobyns 807 last year. Kept hearing rough spots coming through the guides so I checked my line after it happened 3 casts in a row. My line was shredded for about 3 feet above my bait. I was one cast away from launching a 10 inch triple trout into the abyss :shock:

Samething happened to my 807 Richard sent me a new tip tip free of charge. The harder the guide insert the easier they crack.