First pike of the fall

CG_Fishes

Went out today looking for a PB pike. Got to the spot and started throwing my new to me K9. Before too long I had a low 20s walleye eat boatside. I went to boatflip it in and flipped it over the boat and watched my dinner swim away. I was pretty bummed always wanted to try walleye.

A little while later I had a 40+" musky swipe at a 10" TT boatside. A very big surprise being that there are very few musky in the river that I was fishing.

Just around the corner I hooked my first pike of the day 3 casts after changing to the albino 8" magdraft.

IMG_20221002_131342.thumb.jpg.c132ff183ab3c6afa046ffd9749030b6.jpg

I thought I had something figured out, but the bite continued to be slow. Eventually I caught another small fish on the bait

20221002_123330.thumb.jpg.2b2920c4402e07ebde1c2c050c3a7bad.jpg

Fished another 2 hours without moving another fish. Between my buddy and I we interacted with around a dozen fish today so not bad at all but all small except the musky and just not the action we expected on what should've been a prime fall day. Hoping I can get at least one more trip in before winter, hopefully with higher water

Nice fish!  I've bank-flipped a number of walleye but I've had a couple of fails as well - they've got pretty bony mouths and apparently do not always get well-hooked. Seeing a high 20s walleye swim away before you can lay hands on it hurts.

That NY fishing is intriguing - I've got a fishing buddy who is fishing in the Seneca lake region and doing decently on musky and I'm trying to learn about the fishing around Albany since my son just started college in the area.

1 hour ago, FishDr said:

That NY fishing is intriguing - I've got a fishing buddy who is fishing in the Seneca lake region and doing decently on musky and I'm trying to learn about the fishing around Albany since my son just started college in the area.

NY is a crazy diverse state for fishing. I am currently in the Syracuse area for school but went back home to the Binghamton area for this trip. The tiger musky fishing around CNY is crazy good but tigers don't scratch my itch the same way that pike do. The Albany area has some great fishing, the Mohawk is a top Walleye and Esox fishery and the Hudson has decent runs of striper from my understanding.