Newb, Whats up with swimbait availability and and prices ?

Basscaster

Thanks soo much for the info. Its neat to see how these small custom made baits operate. I did collect and fish a lot of custom glide muskie baits that were garage made and had nice belly rolls and great z(walk the dog) action. I was always reading basement baits forums to see the great work craftsman do in their garage/basement. The more opinions the better so don't be shy.

For me there is less profit in hard baits compared to soft baits. Even though they cost 3X-5X more then a soft bait, they take at least 10X as long to make. I manufacture soft baits all year round and can reasonably keep up with the demand. The hard baits are made inbetween runs of soft baits. When I finaly have accumulated enough hard baits we will prep them, assemble, paint, and finish them. I like to finish each step before I do the next. We might prep 1000 hard baits of different models. Then we might assemble them all. Then paint them in batches according to their color patterens. Then I will release them in batches as I do the finishing touches to that particular batch. Each of these steps requires a lot of time. So I try and squeeze in a month or two out of the year doing hard baits and then release them as I find time to finish them up. That is why when I do a release I usually have at least 100 and sometimes like the hardgill I might have 300-500. The more I have the longer it takes to sell out. When I only make 100 they are usually gone in a day or two, while 400 might last a month or two. Then it might be a year or more before I have more available. Plus if I add new hard baits to the line up then it takes even longer. Lately I have made a batch and moved on. I might not make them again. It's a lot more fun to make new baits then to keep making the same ones.