Thoughts on the ZPI SiC bearings?

Morgan Y

I’m about to change out the stock bearings in my tranx to some ZPI SiC bearings, tackle trap was being funny so I couldn’t get the hedgehog Air HD bearings but I’ve heard that the difference between hedgehog and ZPI is negligible but still way better than boca. How much of a difference have you guys noticed when using upgraded ceramics in a tranx?In particular because it seems like the stock bearings in it are rather horrendous  for casting (so much so that I often end up turning all my brakes off which really is playing with fire to get 50 yds or 60-70 yds with some wind and a Dobyns 867 with a 250) but very corrosion resistant. 

just be careful when you upgrade bearings that you are doing it in a reel that has a good competent braking system. LOL

Those ceramics spin like a mofo and it can be rats nest central if you arn't careful. You will notice a tremendous difference in the spool speed. Make sure you set your brakes to max tension for the first cast, or else you are doomed. 

1 hour ago, captainhookset said:

just be careful when you upgrade bearings that you are doing it in a reel that has a good competent braking system. LOL

Those ceramics spin like a mofo and it can be rats nest central if you arn't careful. You will notice a tremendous difference in the spool speed. Make sure you set your brakes to max tension for the first cast, or else you are doomed. 

Oh man that’s exactly what I want. Yay!!! I’ll be ready with a heavy dosage of thumb and brakes when I first give them a rip. They say not to run them dry but I’m tempted to considering that the whole point of ceramics is to be able to run them dry so that the oil viscosity even when really thin doesn’t slow down the spool at all. 

49 minutes ago, Morgan Y said:

Oh man that’s exactly what I want. Yay!!! I’ll be ready with a heavy dosage of thumb and brakes when I first give them a rip. They say not to run them dry but I’m tempted to considering that the whole point of ceramics is to be able to run them dry so that the oil viscosity even when really thin doesn’t slow down the spool at all. 

You still might be able to get stuff from tackle trap but they have closed up shop.

The difference isn’t much between the 2  but zpi sic handled the salt better for me. 

Personally there is not really any noticeable gain in say a swimbait setup over stock bearing in a quality reel like a conquest 200A but they help out more on the conventional finesses side of things where startup inertia really starts playing a part.

Good thing you didn't get HH Air. They are not designed for chucking weight. ZR can manage it, not the Air. But whatever, ZPI is legit. As for ceramics, be smart and put a half drop of oil on each. Your first cast will expel what the races can't hold so it won't matter. And, yes, Boca is comparative junk. Don't hate the messenger.

Edited by Good Year 71

1 hour ago, Good Year 71 said:

Good thing you didn't get HH Air. They are not designed for chucking weight. ZR can manage it, not the Air. But whatever, ZPI is legit. As for ceramics, be smart and put a half drop of oil on each. Your first cast will expel what the races can't hold so it won't matter. And, yes, Boca is comparative junk. Don't hate the messenger.

Well I was about to get the air hds and I guess I’m glad I didn’t although if I’m remembering correctly they claim to be  for heavy baits since the hd (heavy duty) is listed as having a higher weight rating. Either way it sounds like I made a good choice in getting the ZPIs and as far as my logic as to getting ceramics it will take a lot less inertia to get the spool moving even with a heavy spool with lots of momentum, and additionally as the bait (deps) keeps helicoptering it will be able to regain some of the speed lost from thumbing throughout a cast which in theory should increase my distance.