2023 Antares DC MD

Dink whisperer

52 minutes ago, Jerkbait22 said:

Anyone got an update on these? They were slated for March but obviously today is April 1st and they have yet to come in stock. Was planning on adding one. 

I got my tracking number on Thursday 

Loving the new 2023 model… really prefer it in every way over the previous DC offerings. Might be one of the best looking Shimano reels to date too, it’s super clean. I do think they made a huge mistake with the XG and HG ratios, they’re so close it’s almost pointless to have both options. Shimano would have been much better off with the XG and then something 5 or 6 to 1 range for something to actually differentiate it.  

For a 200-size spool it’s actually a pretty big (long) frame in my opinion, but casts like a dream with that extra distance between the spool and levelwind. 

Edited by Cranky

9 hours ago, Cranky said:

Loving the new 2023 model… really prefer it in every way over the previous DC offerings. Might be one of the best looking Shimano reels to date too, it’s super clean. I do think they made a huge mistake with the XG and HG ratios, they’re so close it’s almost pointless to have both options. Shimano would have been much better off with the XG and then something 5 or 6 to 1 range for something to actually differentiate it.  

For a 200-size spool it’s actually a pretty big (long) frame in my opinion, but casts like a dream with that extra distance between the spool and levelwind. 

Did you also get yours from Plat? Left or right? 

• 5 weeks later...

I currently have a Curado 300. I don’t love the weight, so the new Antares appeals to me. Also, my conventional Antares is my favorite reel. I don’t throw swimbaits too often and when I do, they are usually something in the 2.5 ounce range. I have neck issues and feel like if I had a lighter setup, I might throw swimbaits more often. What is the top end of what this reel can handle? 

23 minutes ago, Rodster said:

I currently have a Curado 300. I don’t love the weight, so the new Antares appeals to me. Also, my conventional Antares is my favorite reel. I don’t throw swimbaits too often and when I do, they are usually something in the 2.5 ounce range. I have neck issues and feel like if I had a lighter setup, I might throw swimbaits more often. What is the top end of what this reel can handle? 

I was tossing a Ghost around with it over the weekend.

I’ve thrown up to 4oz on mine no problem. I know people throw more. Should be fine for your needs. My favorite swimbait reel to fish with. Just wish they made a slower ratio for wakes and softies.