ROF 0 Hudd modification

NorCalBass

what size nail weight do you guys use to make a ROF1 or ROf2? and what size and brand hook do you recommend for adding on the top, (BB rig) and the bottom?

Im interested in what type of hook to add to the top as well, its hard to find the top hook hudds where im at.

Hudds aren't something someone can fine-tune with a set formula like say a deps that are much more consistent in terms of weight. You may get a hudd that has a large air pocket behind the foam harness, others are slightly softer than others. You might get a rof 0 that sinks how you want it just by adding a hook. The best advice for getting a rof-0 to sink precisely how you want is to head to the lake with some tungsten nail weights and fine tune it how you want. Also it may even be easier for you to buy a ROF-5 slit the belly and shave off lead while on the lake until you get the sink rate right, then huddle bond it back together.

Hudds aren't something someone can fine-tune with a set formula like say a deps that are much more consistent in terms of weight. You may get a hudd that has a large air pocket behind the foam harness, others are slightly softer than others. You might get a rof 0 that sinks how you want it just by adding a hook. The best advice for getting a rof-0 to sink precisely how you want is to head to the lake with some tungsten nail weights and fine tune it how you want. Also it may even be easier for you to buy a ROF-5 slit the belly and shave off lead while on the lake until you get the sink rate right, then huddle bond it back together.

^^^this

Okay thanks a lot! I have been experiencing and as of now have 3/16oz weight in their and its about a ROF 3 so ill try a 1/16oz or maybe a 1/8oz. and I know you are a big Hudd guy, what size trebles and brand do you like to use on the top and bottom?

Okay thanks a lot! I have been experiencing and as of now have 3/16oz weight in their and its about a ROF 3 so ill try a 1/16oz or maybe a 1/8oz. and I know you are a big Hudd guy, what size trebles and brand do you like to use on the top and bottom?

I don't usually put trebles on the bottom of my hudds unless im fishing for spots or smallmouth and if I did, I would be inclined to use red trebles I was told that it makes a difference by one of the best spot fisherman I know when I was younger so that theory has stuck with me ever since, that being said I would probably use a red gamakatsu (thats 100% just me though on the idea that im fishing for those two species). Matt Peters uses ST-66's on the bottom of some of his hudds. I don't do it enough personally to recommend a hook that would hold any weight as far as being a better option over another.

I started fishing Mustad Elite Series 1x strong 1x short treble hooks in size-1 Tacklewarehouse stocks them 5 for $3.69. I originally purchased them to use on my hudds when Mustad was doing their record sweepstakes and you could win $50,000 or something by catching a state record on a Mustad hook, I gave those hooks a trial and they have stuck with me they have a pretty wide bite so even though its a relatively small hook its got some nice gap, Straight points off the bends I think help penetrate and dig into cartilage also, I use lighter rods (NFC 806 Custom) than most guys when I throw ROF-0-5's and don't break or bend a lot of hooks personally.

That being said, I haven't landed many fish over 7-8lbs on that hook so they could bend given they are fairly light wire, I've hooked a few hot 5-6's outside the mouth without them bending but Mike-aka Spectrum would probably bend them out on a 13''er :lol::D

So pretty much I tend to use round bend hooks bronze or red by gamakatsu, or that one specific Mustad.

Butch Brown uses a specific VMC model that hes proven to be one of the best options period, it could be the same one that ATFISHING1234 recommended but I'm not sure.

Yes.

I did this with 5's when I was fishing shallow and it works well. Same thing works with the 12's if you want to use a jig hook, you can always cut off chunks of lead to make them sink slower.

I sliced a rof 12 and used a dermal to grind out some lead.

What did you use to seal it back up and did it still swim straight?

Huddle-Bond, 3:16 glue, mend-it, a hot butter knife etc....

Hudds typically track very true when the lead is shaved* but when you go into them and cut out large portions of lead it might effect the way the bait sits in the water- more nose down if the back is cut away so you may need to compensate by adding a tungsten nail weight toward the rear. Making a rof 12 into a rof 5-8 is pretty easy but I haven't personally tried to make a 12 into a 0-3, I wouldn't recommend it though either.