Cracked another PB!

danthefisherman

Decided to go “casting” for a quick 1.5hr session after a long day of work and while it was still light out. It was cold, the water was muddy from recent rains, and the wind was blowing pretty hard. I wasn’t really expecting to catch anything but was glad to get outside. It was getting close to sunset and I was telling my brother how I really wanted to catch a crappie. The big ones are either very rare or very smart in this body of water. I haven’t hooked a decent one here in two years and never on conventional tackle.

I figured the fish would be glued to the bottom, so I was letting my little shad bait sink all the way down and ever so slowly (almost painfully slow) working it back with gentle twitches. As I was pulling my bait out of the water to make another cast, I got bit on the surface. I swung and, to my delight, landed a good crappie. The fight probably didn’t even last a second but I’m not complaining haha

33EF01E7-C42D-4D23-A236-3F713AAB69D5.thumb.jpeg.3e4b381528cf51134febc20a6e931382.jpeg

A handful of casts later and another fish crushed my bait. My new official pb black crappie measured 15.75in long and 2.23lb weight.

80EFB4C0-A55B-41D1-9DA9-0CE104CED1BC.thumb.jpeg.1e41f7c15767685a59373172f3971bef.jpeg

This fish looked like a dinner plate coming up it was so tall. Here’s another pic showing my hand for size reference (and I have long fingers):

CC844243-EF34-446F-A725-71A14E1CD407.thumb.jpeg.72654542cafa89152cd6fb49270e2561.jpeg

43 minutes ago, justintrask said:

My brother craps on me for not just targeting bass, but man I love targeting crappie and perch, especially the giants! It's fun fishing! SLAB!

Just targeting bass gets awfully boring IMO. There's so much diversity to appreciate in all of our locals here in the US, that if all you care about is a bass (That is likely invasive in your area) then you're really missing out!

4 hours ago, justintrask said:

My brother craps on me for not just targeting bass, but man I love targeting crappie and perch, especially the giants! It's fun fishing! SLAB!

Crappie are a cool fish and often elusive in my experience. Growing up they were one of my top bucket list fish which were in my local bodies of water but I was unable to figure out. Even now I only seem to run into them when I’m not actually trying.

They are also tasty ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...