Abu Garcia World Monster 734H?

Tpreston

Anyone had any experience with one of these travel rods? It’s a Japanese Abu Garcia 4 piece rod 7’3” heavy mod fast, hence the 734H. Rating claims that max lure weight is 10.6 oz and minimum is 0.5 oz. I see some reviews on Amazon Japan that says the rods have broken on people on a lot of occasions and have other qc issues but I can’t confirm that it happened on the heavy version. There’s several medium and light versions as well. From my understanding it’s meant to be more of a catfish or other big game rod but seems like it could fall into the swimbait bass realm also. I’m takin a trip to Florida soon and this rod fits my budget perfectly even though I’d love an f5 this is over a hundred bucks cheaper and I don’t travel often at all so I don’t have a huge need for a travel rod that’s gonna see heavy use. I would love some help with feedback from others who owned one before. Thanks SU 

Edited by Tpreston

I bought one when I went out to Florida for my first year of college back in 2019. It's a great travel rod for fishing the canals. The casting weight is more like 1 - 6 oz., the bait that felt most comfortable on it was the savage gear magnum shine glide. I liked that it was a stout enough rod for soft baits and parabolic enough to keep big fish pinned. I ended up selling it to get a Legit Design 65XXH which is a very similar single piece rod. Only complaints about it is that the short length limits you on larger bodies of water, and the ferrules do tend to come loose throughout a day's use, so you definitely have to put some paraffin on them.

unnamed (1).jpg

Yeah all my rods are ferruled so I’m pretty used to cranking them back down through the day. Nice fish though man that gives me more confidence about my purchase. If it’ll handle a fish that size without breaking I feel good about it. I went into it kinda knowing the rating was off but 6 oz is my heaviest bait anyways so I think it’ll work out fine. It’s only gonna be used when bringing my main rods is not an option. Which isn’t often at all. Thanks for the response man

13 hours ago, Tpreston said:

Yeah all my rods are ferruled so I’m pretty used to cranking them back down through the day. Nice fish though man that gives me more confidence about my purchase. If it’ll handle a fish that size without breaking I feel good about it. I went into it kinda knowing the rating was off but 6 oz is my heaviest bait anyways so I think it’ll work out fine. It’s only gonna be used when bringing my main rods is not an option. Which isn’t often at all. Thanks for the response man

that 6-7 oz. range is the sweet point, I boat flipped a lot of 10-15 lb pike with it after coming back to Montana, really don't think breaking under normal use is much of a concern. They're gnarly rods, they sort of feel like ugly stik blanks. The Abu JP website says they're 84% carbon and 16% glass.