250 casting distance

bake and waker

How far are y’all getting the bait out there?? I’m setup up with a 867 and a tranx 300 with 20lb fluoro seagaur. I stepped down from 25 big game and that helped a bit.  Seems like I should be getting out farther. Not a big deal on the boat but shore sessions leave me wanting more. Thanks

Edited by bake and waker

Try to watch how the bait is oriented just before the cast. I found that if the bait was more inline with the rod on the cast it would reduce the helicoptering and slightly increase the distance. Also try a offshore style cast allowing your rod to do the work and make sure the top of the reel is pointed more towards the water allowing the line to just flow on the guides and making sure the line doesn’t touch the blank at all. Everything that line slaps the blank it’s slowing down. 

https://youtu.be/HTssdpnUGMo

Turn the reel so that the spool rotates on the bearing in the side plate. That could help. I don’t do that but I’ve seen others talk about it, namely Oliver Ngy.

I throw the 250 on an 867 with a Curado k 301 and 20lb Izorline. I rarely cast over hand, I usually use the hockey/golf swing lob. 

I used to run a tranx with my 867, but now run a scorpion md for my 250s, still with an 867. I switched the bearings in my tranx to Zpi ceramics which certainly seem to make a difference. Also I now run 22 lb tatsu on my scorpion which certainly makes a difference being the diameter of 18 ish lb in most other brands line sizing as well as incredibly supple. As far as casting I completely relieve spool tension until the spool knocks a bit and run 2 brakes out of 8 on for wind, and 1 or none for no wind. Realistically with no wind I can cast 50-60 yds with the 250 on a hard cast with about 2.5-3 ft of line out from the tip although with a good back wind and a high angled cast you can get over 70 yds without too much hassle. Helicoptering is most of what kills a cast, but if you load up hard on the back of the cast the bait will orient itself nicely and cast without as much spin. 

Edited by Morgan Y

1 hour ago, DrewManFishing said:

If I’m casting into the wind, it’s going nowhere…. With the wind it’s going miles 

You should still be able to get 30-40 yds in a strong head wind if you load the rod correctly, but yes I agree it’s a whole lot harder. 

Anyone use a  Dobyns 908 for te Deps 250 ? I have the 867 and can throw it with a lob cast, that said it feels a little bit under powered . 

Edited by Primus

1 hour ago, Primus said:

Anyone use a  Dobyns 908 for te Deps 250 ? I have the 867 and can throw it with a lob cast, that said it feels a little bit under powered . 

Yes.

I have never managed to cast any bait (on any freshwater rod) much over 45-50 yards though, with or without wind. Maybe I just suck at casting.

8 hours ago, Primus said:

The 908 sucks for the 250 in my experience, doesn’t load up correctly. The 867 feels underpowered because it’s parabolic but for that exact same reason it’s the ideal rod. It pins them better and casts further than probably anything else. Learn to trust the rod, it’s far stronger than you think. It easily throws a 250 and can take as hard of a cast as you can physically muster. 50 or so yards is reasonable to achieve. 

Thanks for the info as you saved me some coin and I already have an arsenal of swimbait rods and probably don't need another one taking up room on my boat. I totally agree that one of the best attributes of the 867 is keeping fished pinned . 

22 hours ago, maiti said:

Yes.

I have never managed to cast any bait (on any freshwater rod) much over 45-50 yards though, with or without wind. Maybe I just suck at casting.

Same here.  I read about reels being spooled on a cast and unless they are nearly out of line, I don't understand how. 

2 hours ago, tslabaugh said:

Same here.  I read about reels being spooled on a cast and unless they are nearly out of line, I don't understand how. 

You could spool a 150 size reel but not even a 200 would get spooled on a long cast. 

36 minutes ago, Morgan Y said:

You could spool a 150 size reel but not even a 200 would get spooled on a long cast. 

You could probably get away with line capacity on a 150 by going braid to leader and still get about 100yds of 65lbs pp Maxcuatro which is about the same on a 200 with jdm 20lbs. The issues of a 200 size reel or smaller is on a long cast your IPT is going to suffer badly. On a conquest 200HG your ipt is going to be around 19ipt-30ipt and if you step down to say a scorpion mgl 150 in a 6.2:1 to keep the ratios the same as the conquest you are looking at 15ipt-26ipt 

3 hours ago, Bassmann86 said:

You could probably get away with line capacity on a 150 by going braid to leader and still get about 100yds of 65lbs pp Maxcuatro which is about the same on a 200 with jdm 20lbs. The issues of a 200 size reel or smaller is on a long cast your IPT is going to suffer badly. On a conquest 200HG your ipt is going to be around 19ipt-30ipt and if you step down to say a scorpion mgl 150 in a 6.2:1 to keep the ratios the same as the conquest you are looking at 15ipt-26ipt 

Agreed, I should’ve made a caveat by mentioning I was referencing this as far as straight fluoro. Yes maxcuatro would let you get away with a cast without draining ,although nearly, your spool.