Shimano tails

jachandl1989

Is the tail a soft plastic or more rigid?

I would think a one or two piece silicone mold would work. Typically I carve my tail masters out of wood for rigidity, but if you can keep the tail straight during the mold process you shouldn’t have many issues.

Alumulite makes a cool red food grade silicone that you can heat up and reuse. Might not work for pouring plastisol tails because of the heat, but I’ve always wanted to try it for semi soft urethane tails.

Thanks for the info!  I am totally new to this but another person said they used silicone on this specific tail and since the tail is silicone it chemically molded together and ruined it.  Going to mold the tail out of Flex X 200.  I just figure out what to make the actual mold out of that won't ruin the original tail that I am replicating.

2 hours ago, jachandl1989 said:

Thanks for the info!  I am totally new to this but another person said they used silicone on this specific tail and since the tail is silicone it chemically molded together and ruined it.  Going to mold the tail out of Flex X 200.  I just figure out what to make the actual mold out of that won't ruin the original tail that I am replicating.

Nice, I was going to suggest making a urethane mold if the tail was silicone. Sounds like you’re on the right track!

4 hours ago, jachandl1989 said:

Perfect! Now to find urethane...

My apologies, I misread and thought your plan was to use Flex series urethane from Alumilite to make the mold haha. I’ve actually never made a urethane mold, but I imagine it’s the same concept.

Good luck!

2 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

My apologies, I misread and thought your plan was to use Flex series urethane from Alumilite to make the mold haha. I’ve actually never made a urethane mold, but I imagine it’s the same concept.

Good luck!

What should I do?  I am so confused.  The tail I want to duplicate is silicone.  What should I pour around the tail to make my mold and what can I then pour into the mold to make my tails?

4 minutes ago, jachandl1989 said:

What should I do?  I am so confused.  The tail I want to duplicate is silicone.  What should I pour around the tail to make my mold and what can I then pour into the mold to make my tails?

Again, I’ve never done it before myself, but you can try making the mold out of urethane rubber. Use the same exact concept as making a silicone mold. This will allow you to pour silicone tails as the material will not stick to the urethane.

Alternatively, you could try making a silicone mold and just make sure to spray the tail with a good coating of mold release before you pour the mold. You won’t be able to make silicone tails this way, but this will be just fine if you only plan to make plastisol tails.

10 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

Again, I’ve never done it before myself, but you can try making the mold out of urethane rubber. Use the same exact concept as making a silicone mold. This will allow you to pour silicone tails as the material will not stick to the urethane.

Alternatively, you could try making a silicone mold and just make sure to spray the tail with a good coating of mold release before you pour the mold. You won’t be able to make silicone tails this way, but this will be just fine if you only plan to make plastisol tails.

Ok, I'll give it a shot if I get time this weekend.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Thank you so much for all your help!