Rod shipping

FOX941

Trying to ship a 8ft LDC. The tube it came is 98” and the FedEx label said it was 96”. 96” and below keeps it reasonable for shipping.  Anything over 96” and it is high as hell for shipping.  Any tips?  If I create my own label and list it at 96” are they going to check it and end up charging me several hundred more?   I could cut the tube down some but would like to keep the extra for adding rod protection cushion.  The guy on here that shipped it to mE didn’t have any issues so I’m wondering. 

I just went through this over the last 2 days. Both rods were 8ft as well. At 96” shipping would be $50. Over 96” shipping was $250, this was at UPS and paying in store.

I took the rods back home and cut the tubes down to just bellow 96.5”. Went on pirateship.com entered them at as 4x4x96, printed my own labels from pirateship.com, each tube w/rod weighed just over 7lbs. One rod was $20 to ship, the other was $18. Took them to the same ups store, the guy weighed them and measured them and said thank you sir have a great day and gave me a receipt. 

When I originally entered the rods at 97” on pirateship, it was $220, when I changed it to 96”, it was $20. I went in store to verify and it was $50 and $250.

I think builders need to go the jdm routeand start making removable handles to cut down on shipping cost. Irod is already doing it and custom rod makers should start doing it too for rods that are 7'9 plus in length.

13 hours ago, Jscarbr said:

I just went through this over the last 2 days. Both rods were 8ft as well. At 96” shipping would be $50. Over 96” shipping was $250, this was at UPS and paying in store.

I took the rods back home and cut the tubes down to just bellow 96.5”. Went on pirateship.com entered them at as 4x4x96, printed my own labels from pirateship.com, each tube w/rod weighed just over 7lbs. One rod was $20 to ship, the other was $18. Took them to the same ups store, the guy weighed them and measured them and said thank you sir have a great day and gave me a receipt. 

When I originally entered the rods at 97” on pirateship, it was $220, when I changed it to 96”, it was $20. I went in store to verify and it was $50 and $250.

I did the same thing.

The trick is keeping the total dimensions under 108”. For a round tube, the way they calculate it is the tube width times pi (3.14), plus the tube length. I shipped a 8’ rod in a tube I received from a rod builder that was 4” wide and 98” long (110.56” total). I was quoted $270+ to ship it in that tube. I did some research and figured out how they calculate it. I got 3” pvc tubing and it cut it to 98” (107.42” total) and it dropped the cost to $37. The key is keeping the “total dimensions” under 108”

Edited by JacksonF

I used all the same shipping info that I shipped 1 of the rods too on pirate ship but changed the dimensions to:

98x3x3 and 97x3x3, it came out to $126.00

at

96x3x3 it was $19.62

I think pirate ship only uses usps and ups. Not %100 on that though.

• 8 months later...
On 6/2/2023 at 10:29 PM, Jscarbr said:

I used all the same shipping info that I shipped 1 of the rods too on pirate ship but changed the dimensions to:

98x3x3 and 97x3x3, it came out to $126.00

at

96x3x3 it was $19.62

I think pirate ship only uses usps and ups. Not %100 on that though.

Which package option did u use?

Been a while, but I believe it was custom where in entered in the measurements. If your tube is under 8 ft it’ll be waaaaaaay cheaper.

5 minutes ago, Jscarbr said:

Been a while, but I believe it was custom where in entered in the measurements. If your tube is under 8 ft it’ll be waaaaaaay cheaper.

I'm entering the dimensions on custom but it's still high or shows this?

inbound8590876834513711511.jpg