200 or 300

Matthew Koo

So I have the Okuma guide select Swimbait stick and it is a 7’11 extra heavy and lure rating is 2-10oz. Is it best to pair up a 200 size reel or 300 size reel? The bait range that I have for my Swimbait arsenal is 1.6oz-4oz. Need some help looking to buy a new Swimbait reel and I have a couple of mind, but I’m not sure if I should buy a 200 or 300.

The okuma was my fish swim bait pole same one you have and I didn’t have any baits over 4 ounces and I used 150 size reel on until I upgraded. I don’t use the rod anymore it just collects dust but if I did I’d probably put a 300 cause that will open up a larger selection of baits you can throw. Rod rates up to 10 ounces and some big baits put up to much resistance for a 200 reel size. My opinion anyways hope this helps.

300 and something in the 6.3:1 to 7.1:1 range. Can fish a lot of baits and pick up a decent amount of line when need to, or really slow down. 

If you are seriously interested, I'm selling an OG Abu Toro 50 (with 6.4:1 gears) right hand with two BBZ1s (fast sink and floater) $128 shipped. It's a 300-size reel with a non-disengaging levelwind and beefy drag. $110 of that I'm donating to Maui wildfire victims relief.

I respect everyone's opinion and see what everyone is saying about getting a 300. I fish multiple rods but if I knew for sure I was gonna fish baits from the 1.5 to 3.5 ounce range I prefer a 200. I actually fish it up to 4 ounces, that is kind of the in between range for the 200 and going to a 300. To me if you throw smaller baits on a 300 it's like fishing a minnow on a shark reel. But yes, the 300 allows you to fish whatever but just uncomfortable to me on smaller swimbaits. But I will say that if you are limiting yourself to just one or two rods, or if that's your budget, maybe go with the 300 to be more versatile. Or maybe this time get you a 300 so you can be more versatile and get a 200 with your next rig. 

On 8/28/2023 at 6:46 AM, Mayes said:

The okuma was my fish swim bait pole same one you have and I didn’t have any baits over 4 ounces and I used 150 size reel on until I upgraded. I don’t use the rod anymore it just collects dust but if I did I’d probably put a 300 cause that will open up a larger selection of baits you can throw. Rod rates up to 10 ounces and some big baits put up to much resistance for a 200 reel size. My opinion anyways hope this helps.

I've got a newbie question: What is it about a 300-sized reel that helps with higher-resistance baits compared to a 200? Is it more than a simple matter of handle length and IPT? Thanks.

12 minutes ago, jimanchower said:

I've got a newbie question: What is it about a 300-sized reel that helps with higher-resistance baits compared to a 200? Is it more than a simple matter of handle length and IPT? Thanks.

It’s not the handle length, cause I can put 117mm Drt varial on any reel as long as I have the nut to fit. They just geared different and different bearings. Which you’d get better advice on that from other members. I’ve made the jump a year ago to swim bait fishing and didn’t know there was a difference, sorry I’m not much help.

11 hours ago, jimanchower said:

I use a toro winch 4.6-1 ratio or close to that for those baits. Definitely helps cranking big lipped divers all day.