Dobyns Rods

swimbaitmichael

Looking to buy a swimbait rod and have seen good reviews on the Dobyns 795SBMT and the 806HBS. Looking to throw 6in.huds, 7in. Slammers but mostly the Alabama rig on. What's your guys thoughts.795 or 806?

probably the 795, depends what the weight of the baits and lead heads you are going to stick on the alabama rig though

The 795ML SB is what I use for rigs (1/8-3/4oz heads) and it handles them all fine. If you're only going to use 1/2oz+ heads then the 806 would be fine but I'm not sure on how it would handle a rig with 1/8oz heads. The 795 is also plenty of rod for 7" Slammers, 6" Hudds, 6" Bull Shads, and pretty much anything in the 1-3oz range, and my rod of choice. If you throw a lot of 3.5oz+ baits, the 806 would be the better rod for sure.

Also, between the 795s, I personally prefer the 795ML SB, which has a longer handle than the 795 SB MT. That's the only difference between the two so it's really more preference.

806. Those mike long handles are wonky.

795ml 806 807 all have the exact same handle length/size

Yeah im saying dont get the ML versions. Those handles are longer than needed for the size baits they're made to throw. Although everyones different. I would say skip the 795 and get the 806, it can throw anything the 795 can and more. Do what you feel is the best for your style.

I loved both! I had the ML version of the 795 and that handle was perfect length for me. The 806 was a ML version as well. That handle just a bit to long. I love those blanks and I'm not trying to bash Dobyns in any way just stating my experience with those two rods. Both had issues with the guides popping out. Could well have been me causing the problems. I am not above stating that. I did use a rod wrap on both of them. They where never in a boat getting banged around either. The service was awesome and they did re wrap both of them with new updated guides. I just couldnt look past getting them back crooked. I would def. get any one of those again if the guides were changed from Kigans. I really liked the action on those rods.