TT questions

Mossypumpkin

Looking to get a triple trout and had some questions. I dont know much about them really. I am up in Maine, so I am realistically fishing for fish up to 7ish lbs. Do I want a 10" or just go with an 8"? And someone tell me what a "heavy" is? Im thinking of getting a slow sink which is assume is the most versatile? I know they are flat out fish catchers so I should add one to my collection. Any info on them would be great! Thanks, guys!

Thats weird cuz from what I hear the TT is like the hudd of hard baits. Gets bit everywhere. I gotta break down and get one to see what happens. I'v got a good offer on an 8" so I gotta try. Personally I think the BBZ gets bit a lot and they seem similar, but I'll try anything once!

Do I want a 10" or just go with an 8"?

I normally tell people to go with the ten inch but you will do best with the one you have the most confidence in. If you feel comfortable with the ten, get it. If you have any hesitation about throwing a bait that big, get the eight. Both will get bit.

Watch how they fish the TT in Southern Trout Eaters, then go throw it. Watch it again and throw it some more. There are some subtleties to using the bait and it will take a bit of time to sort them out.

Try pausing it every few seconds by hesitating just a tiny bit while turning the handle. The bait has a funky swim and that hesitation will make it dart out or roll a bit. That can trigger strikes.

10" Triple trout is my fav. triple trout size.

The same day I was out fishing on the same lake, my uncle proved me wrong on his boat, fishing the 8" triple trout. I watched em stick an 11lber and a 10lber both times I pulled up to him on his boat and asked "did you guys get any thing!?" sets the hook... 10lber LOL few hours go by I pull up again did you guys get anything else? (no!) sets the hook 11lber LOL That day they wanted the 8" triple trout, over the 10". It Depends on the fish ! Get em both !

10" Triple trout is my fav. triple trout size.

The same day I was out fishing on the same lake, my uncle proved me wrong on his boat, fishing the 8" triple trout. I watched em stick an 11lber and a 10lber both times I pulled up to him on his boat and asked "did you guys get any thing!?" sets the hook... 10lber LOL few hours go by I pull up again did you guys get anything else? (no!) sets the hook 11lber LOL That day they wanted the 8" triple trout, over the 10". It Depends on the fish ! Get em both !

That's pretty cool. As much as I would love to get them both, I'm trying to pick up a new setup, so dont have the money now, but hopefully in the spring maybe. Thanks for the responses, guys!

8" TT gets bit, 10" TT gets bit, I've done a lot better with the 8" size here though and that's mainly because I didn't use the 10" starting out as much. A good rule of thumb imo is to go off the size forage you have. If you're fishing trout stocked waters, go with the 10", non trout stocked, go with the 8". Lot more variables in that, but just a good rule of thumb. I have blueback lakes and trout lakes here so I usually throw a 7" or 8" shad color in the blueback lakes and an 8" or 10" trout color in the trout lakes(don't own a 10" tt currently though). I fish the two baits the same but in completely different areas. I usually hit more open water with the blueback tt's and with the trout tt's I mainly fish cover and shade close to shallow water(Spot vs LM fishing pretty much). However, a blueback tt fished in the trout areas would work(especially when bluebacks are spawning and early morning!) and vice versa.

Another great TT in the line up is the cut-tail. Can't believe more people don't talk about this bait :?: I've never caught anything over 6lbs with it, but the sheer amount of fish I have caught with it doubles and triples the other triple trouts. I don't slow roll it at all(however, might try that at night this year ;) ), I throw it in any shade I can find or any cover-burn, stop, burn, stop, burn, stop, repeat. When you burn the cut-tail, the tail slings water left and right giving it a unique get away action, almost looks like a shad or trout getting on top of the water and hauling @ss to get away :lol: The 8" looks a lot better doing this than the 10" imo. I would use the 10" cut-tail for more of a slow moving topwater, freestyle type bait. Unfortunately, I quit throwing the 8" tt cut tail much before I got my go pro. I'll try to post a pic of my beat up 8" cut tail purple trout, bait has won me a few tourneys and caught me a ton of fish in the 2-6lb range. it's not a trophy style bait for me, but it definitely gets bit and bit a lot for me.

I had an 8 inch slow sink, it sank way faster than I expected, when I think of slow sink, i think of like rof 5. are there any TTs that sink around this rate?
Sink rate was never an issue for me. I fish it fast with pauses that are so quick it doesn't have a chance to sink. Not aware of any slower sinking TT's that Scott makes, very possible though.