Best Line to toss a Megabass MegaDog?

Kacordy

36 minutes ago, chefchris said:

I fish the megadog a lot, super underrated bait can be fished fast or slow, super agressively with pops and jumps, just have to find what the fish want. I’ve had good luck working it pretty aggressively and then a long pause like a minute or two and then a short pop and it gets smoked the second it moves 

50lb braid (onyx color) to a 12-18” mono leader of 30lb test ande 

rod with a soft tip works great, LDC xxh is what I was using in these pics, first time throwing the bait 3 seasons ago and this fish sharked it clear out of the water, was working the bait along a rock line with deep water on one side. 

IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

Hello Chris. What knot are you using with 50 braid to 30 mono. Thanks

21 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

That's awesome! So do you  tie your line above the braid tags? 

Yes exactly. I just keep sliding the last knot down until I have to cut some old knots off to make room lol!  

16 hours ago, Kacordy said:

Thank you Steven for the photos and sharing this idea. Makes a ton of sense. 

No problem!  Its a trick that I picked up from some older swimbaiters years ago that seems to have been forgotten about.  It works really well though! 

18 hours ago, chevro1et said:

@bigpoppabass @BassinMass978

I remember Jeremy talking on Cast and Crank about fishing the Lunker Punker. He advocated straight braid and usung super glue on a few inches of line near the bait to create a stiff pseudo-leader to prevent line fouling. I've heard of guys using wax for this application as well. 

I think Grady Codd also did an episode on there where he talks about the punker.  Straight 80# with the knot trick I showed earlier is his go to as well, and that guy is an absolute hammer!  

that episode with Jeremy was wild haha!  I listen to it when I want a good laugh. 

Throw my hat in, 50 PP straight. I don't do much with walking baits I don't particularly like them but I use braid straight on everything I do and I feel like it's giving me the best luck and peace of mind as a cherry, as long as you mind your sensibilities with running the setup with straight braid I have really hadn't had any real minus that tells me never to use it or not to use it. Most of my time is spent deep or stained water and night busting. Just as line is important the main thing is to have a rod that's suited for walking a bait of that size as well

Side note I was an avid user and cut my teeth on p-line cxx thinking it was the greatest but until I lost a couple prized Glides due to line where I decided to stick with straight braid and not look back as I'm not really an avid line Checker as far as line where I tend to spend my time if possible throwing and retrieving more than checking my gear/line. Usually once I'm dialed in I haven't had an issue gear wise come up but let's not curse myself here

Side note to the side note my faith was strong with cxx P line as I fished it straight for Pike and number of years on one of our lakes here in AZ not the greatest sizes but still pretty chunky and have the teeth so you know they tear a line up but never had a pike tear off on P line so I was super stoked when I started swimbaiting to use that line although with that situation I did check and retire every so often as needed

Edited by Cristo

If you're going to go with a short 2 1/2 to 3' leader or less that you can keep out of the tip top guide and cast easily the Albright knot is probably the easiest and most solid knot you can tie. It's gonna be a totally great knot for #30 mono. 

If you're using a thinner #20-25 mono or fluoro, the Albright could slip and you'd want to use an Alberto knot. A little trickier to tie but not super hard. Just keep that in mind if you decide to go down in leader size for any reason. 

Youtube videos are good when it comes to learning new knots. May have to go through a few videos to find a demonstration that's really clear and shows a technique that works for you. 

Whatever you do, keep the knot out of your tip top guide and that will reduce 98% of the problems with casting and having the knot catch in a guide that will probably cause your bait to snap off. 

The albright is really easy to tie. I'd use maybe 6 to 7 wraps at most instead of 10 like the picture says. The important thing is that the braid cinches down on the mono really smoothly and tightly and less wraps is usually better for me. Sometimes 5 or 6 wraps is all you need with this line in that general #30-60 leader range .

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special