Shimano curado k 300 or tranx 300

1mofish

Opinion please;

I am throwing 2-4oz glides and  jointed baits in that weight class, Which reel do you prefer?
Do you like high or low retrieve for glides?

Will the higher retrieves have enough power for deep diving cranks and a rigs?

Thank you!

Tranx 300 in the 5.8 ratio works well for most things.  I reach for the HG version when I'm fishing big glides but otherwise the 5.8 is my default choice...it's still a 30" per turn retrieve so it's not slow by any means.  I haven't fished a Curado 300 so can't comment on those, but many others here use them and are happy.

For the 2-4 ounce range, a Tatula 200 has been in my rotation for a while and is also worth a look.  Good luck!

23 minutes ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

I prefer my K over my curado due to casting distance my tranx 300 cast like crap only thing I don't like about the K is it feels like cheap plastic compared to the tranx .

*tranx

6 minutes ago, SoFloW said:

I can second that. Tranx definitely casts like poo 

Yea been thinking about getting a tune but not 100% on it lol

My Tranx 301 casts fine, as does my Curado 301K. I've fished a lot of Shimano 300 to 400 size reels over the last 13 odd years, Curados and Calcuttas of different generations, Cardiffs and the Tranx. They all cast far enough and I don't see much measurable difference.

I will say my Calcutta 401D probably outcasts most other swimbait reels I've fished by a good 20-30 feet, but it's also the hardest to control. Not hard to control, just harder than my other Shimanos. I think the previous owner did some sort of tuning to it.

Not much info about the OP's questions though, I don't do deep diving cranks or A-rigs or any glides other than the 250.

1 hour ago, ikaika said:

Tranx 300 in the 5.8 ratio works well for most things.  I reach for the HG version when I'm fishing big glides but otherwise the 5.8 is my default choice...it's still a 30" per turn retrieve so it's not slow by any means.  I haven't fished a Curado 300 so can't comment on those, but many others here use them and are happy.

For the 2-4 ounce range, a Tatula 200 has been in my rotation for a while and is also worth a look.  Good luck!

Second on the Tatula 200 for 2-4, but definitely Calcutta for anything bigger.

Considering the baits your throwing I’d just use a 200 size reel. I only ever use a 300 size reel for 4 oz and up- why have the extra weight and bulk of you don’t need it. In general (for the 200 and 300) the tranx has a bit more “heft” to it. They weigh a little more but they make up for it with cranking power. I’ve had the curado k 200 and 300 as well as the tranx 200 and 300. Gear ratio is something to consider but I will say- I only have tranxs now… imo the slight extra weight is a price I’m willing to pay because they are WORKHORSES. the pricing difference is not that steep- and if your not willing to go up in price, in no way are the curados bad reels. Either way it’s gonna get the job done. 

hope this helps. 

9 hours ago, SoFloW said:

I can second that. Tranx definitely casts like poo 

When I first got my Tranx it definitely didn’t cast as well as I’d like- upon doing some research  into shimano reels in general- a lot of them have waay too much factory grease on the internals and bearings that effect performance. After taking apart my Tranx (200 and 300) and clearing a lot of that excess grease off I noticed a huge improvement on casting distance. I since have serviced both and cleaned, then re applied a minimal amount of oil and greased. they both cast like a dream. It’s crappy how that’s even an issue from shimano but at least there is a way to improve the function of the reel. 

not a dig at you at all just giving a potential solution. 

I will second the tat 200 suggestion as a pretty bomber and cheapo reel. I added handles from my lexa wn when lexa started getting too geary to love much (I botched the service job myself - and can't get it back to correct)

BUT! scorpion 300 from Digitaka is a Tranx with a beefier handle and a much friendlier price point. It is also a workhorse and has handled my crank downs like wad3 Sherpa 3pc, PG and surface wakes with ease. It's geared higher, but I just adjust retrieve speeds and it has served double duty for 250s and other 6oz stuff. Hell I let the mothership rip on it too and have a lot of fun throwing it. Haven't tried crank mode on the Ghost yet, but I think I'd turn to this reel again for that. It's cheap AF and readily available thru Japan. Had 1 frame screw that had a bunch of loctite from the factory so I stripped that bolt a bit getting it apart but it's easy to service and has waterproof gaskets also.

Just another option you may not know about. $202usd today

https://www.digitaka.com/item/5/4/2/4969363043597

The bantam 150 or any 200 sized reel you like are perfect for baits in that range. I personally use  12-15 for 4 oz baits, but you can fish 17-20 with no problem.  I mostly fished 4 oz baits like the sly 7.5 and k9, but would throw the 250 when I needed that smaller line diameter with no  issues.  I fished mine for a couple years and they held up great before I got rid of them. I do recommend upgrading your handle on any of 150-200 size reels. I liked the 95 mm drt, but any handle that size will do.